Tuesday, January 22, 2019

White Rabbit--"I will the ice to thicken over my heart against its fearsome power"

Title: White Rabbit


Author: Caleb Roehrig


LGBTQ+ Representation: Main character identifies as gay; supporting character as bi, m/m relationship


What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer): Rufus is having a stressful night. First, his ex-boyfriend Sebastian (who broke his heart) reappears in his life. Next, Rufus gets a call from his half-sister April, who has woken up covered in blood--beside the dead body of her boyfriend. Rufus and Sebastian work together to find out who of the privileged rich friends of April is responsible for Fox Whitney's death.


What I think (in 250 words or fewer): I love the pretentious-sounding-rich-people names of the characters in this story: Fox Whitney, Hayden Covington, Race Atwood, Peyton Forsyth, Alexis Carrington Colby--okay that last one is actually from Dynasty, but her name and personality would have fit in at this school because these teenagers are the worst.


Rufus takes it upon himself to solve the murder mystery with Sebastian's help. At first I yelled at them to stay out of it, but then they involve themselves enough that calling the police would have incriminated them.

I definitely appreciated that Rufus has an incentive to want to solve the mystery and keep the details secret from his mother. I get annoyed at young adult novels in which the characters do not consult their parents, other adults, or police when they are involved in super dangerous situations when any ACTUAL teenagers would have told someone! Also, the action takes place in one night (not including flashbacks), making it more probable that the police would not have gotten involved.

The teens' stories keep changing as Rufus and Sebastian question the suspects. I correctly guessed the "bad guy" in Last Seen Leaving; this time, I had no clue whodunit until there were literally no more possibilities--then the story's suspense level cranked up to 11 and I could NOT put the book down.

The villain is dangerously high energy evil. YAAAAAS.

Also included are an adorable romance and unexpectedly supportive parent, which seem extra warm and fuzzy in a murder mystery.


This book is under consideration for the 2019 Rainbow Book List.


My final takeaway (in 75 words or fewer): Fans of murder mysteries and suspense will really enjoy this book. It's violent without being too gory, and yes, White Rabbit is a drug reference, but not the one I expected. Didn't stop me from singing this song the entire time I was writing this review, however.

Death Prefers Blondes comes out January 29! You still have time to pre-order your copy and get some cool stuff. 

Fun fact: I had to order my copy twice because I couldn't figure out how to take a screenshot of the original order since I did it through the "official book-ordering-computer" at work. I then took a literal screenshot of the screen with my phone camera because I want that Last Seen Leaving short story!!!!


Memorable quotes/passages from the book:

  • "He concludes his proposition with a rakish grin--the smirky, vulpine look that melts underwear across all four grades at Ethan Allen High--and I will the ice to thicken over my heart against its fearsome power" (hardback edition, pg. 7).
  • "There's an avalanche of coke and pills in the dining room that you could slide down with a toboggan, and you want us to believe you were sober?" (pg. 38).
  • "Like someone wrenching his tongue from a frozen lamppost, Sebastian steps haltingly back from Hayden, tacitly conceding defeat in their macho standoff" (pg. 117).
  •  "They soared from my lips, straight up, and hung above my head like the sword of Damocles" (pg. 166). 


Other reviews: The BookCorps and YA Books Central


This book is available from the Greensboro Public Library.



No comments:

Post a Comment