Sunday, January 20, 2019

One of those posts in which I don't @ the authors--Inspired by Marie Kondo

Exhausted from working retail at Christmas + mental illnesses (mine and other family members') = writer's block. Also, my ridiculously large to-be-read-and-reviewed list is stressing me out instead of making me happy.

Several of my friends have been all, "You should get rid of the books in your list that are not giving you joy!" and I'm like, "Please don't make me watch Tidying Up. I hate cleaning!"

So even though I told my friends I'm never watching the show, I am basing this post on KonMari Method and removing/not finishing/or not indepthly-reviewing any books that do not give me joy. Do you think I should give any of them a second (or third, or fourth, or more) chance?

(Don't tell my friends I'm surrendering to Marie Kondo. They'll get cocky. 😉)




Title: Unnatural

Author: Michael Griffo


What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer): Michael, who is devastated by his mother's suicide and struggling to accept his own homosexuality, is thrilled to leave his small-town Nebraska existence behind for an exclusive boarding school. He finds friendship with Ciaran and more-than-friendship with Ronan--who is part of a hybrid clan of vampires, who are outsiders among other vampires.


Why I just can't: I was not a fan of Twilight, but I am not against a good vampire story--the existence of 28 of Lynsay Sands's Argeneau vampire books on my bookcase can attest to that, but I just couldn't buy into the story. It seemed to be very "Twilight-but-gay!" to me, pretty melodramatic, and cheesy. Plus, the vampire-changing-into scene wasn't exactly consensual.

But again, none of those descriptions would make a book bad. I like cheesy melodramas with not-always-consensual-pairings (see collection of Malory family Johanna Lindsey books in my bookcase).

So why did this book not do it for me?  I don't know. I just could not get into the characters. They didn't work for me. Maybe one day I will try again. But right now, I'm not finding joy in Unnatural. Bye-bye!


Other reviews: Kirkus and Book Pleasures

***

Title: Another Kind of Cowboy

Author: Susan Juby


What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer): Alex is a closeted, gay teenager who wants to shed his macho rodeo cowboy image and participate in dressage events, but he can't figure out how to tell his father. Chloe is a rich girl who is looking for a way to start over, away from her past and her uncaring parents. She and Alex become unlikely friends.


Why I just can't: I tried really hard with this book, but I've never been a horse person, and the plot just did not hook me. Alex seemed uninteresting to me, and Chloe got on my nerves so much, I didn't want to read any more of her story. Probably she and Alex learn from each other and resolve her past issues or something. I skimmed to the end to see that things worked out well for Alex, but Chloe? I didn't care.

I did not give up on this book too quickly: I checked it out of the library, returned it, then bought it a rummage sale in order to give it another chance--still could not get through it. The story, I'm afraid, was just not for me, and the book now has a new home at Guilford Green LGBTQ Center Library.


This book is on the 2009 Rainbow Book List.


Other reviews: Goodreads and Teenreads




Title: The Evolution of Ethan Poe

Author: Robin Reardon


What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer): Ethan's life is pretty stressful. He's gay, he has very few friends (and his best friend is a "Jesus freak" who is praying for his soul), his parents are getting divorced, and his brother is suffering from Body Integrity Identity Disorder. In the middle of all of this drama, Ethan begins a relationship with Max, befriends the eccentric Etta, and fights against adding Intelligent Design to the school's curriculum.


Why I just can't: I love books about religion, debating, and overall school drama, so I was psyched for this book. Unfortunately, it did not meet my expectations. Ethan was an okay character, but I could not figure out why he was friends with Jorja who did not respect him.

I really, really disliked Max. What a jerk. It's hard to like a book when you don't care for the main character's love interest.

I also did not feel that some of the town's drama around the school curriculum was . . . well, I don't want to say it wasn't believable, because weird things happen, but it didn't seem realistic to me based on my experiences with school systems and small towns. I couldn't buy into the whole spiritual animal thing, which was one of the subplots.

Also, a dog dies.  Boo.


This book is on the 2012 Rainbow Book List.


Other reviews: Goodreads and Open Letters Monthly

***

Title: Sadie

Author: Courtney Summers


What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer): Sadie has not had an easy life: her mother left her at a young age, she never knew her father, and she had to raise her younger sister, Mattie, pretty much on her own. Sadie is devastated when Mattie is found dead and is determined to follow the clues to solve her sister's murder when the police cannot. West McCray, a radio personality, documents Sadie's journey through interviews via his podcast.


Why I just can't: Nearly everyone I know loves this book, so much to the point that I am almost embarrassed to admit that I didn't like it. Read the reviews and notice the amount of awards Sadie has won; it's mind-boggling.

I was not riveted; I found the book incredibly predictable. I enjoyed the narrative structure, switching between Sadie's point-of-view and podcast transcripts, but never once was I surprised by the plot. It unfolded just exactly as I thought it would. The ending was a bit unresolved, and even though I usually enjoy or at least appreciate an effective ending that leaves the reader to draw their own conclusions, I did not in this case. I was just annoyed.

However, I am so much in the minority with this book. Most everyone loves it. So you should probably read it, but I've already given my copy away.


Other reviews: Goodreads and Kirkus


These books are available from the Greensboro Public Library, except for Unnatural, which is available via Interlibrary Loan.



No comments:

Post a Comment