Friday, June 12, 2020

Why I reread old favorites, OR: Warm, cuddly, teddy bear books

Reading and writing has always been a source of comfort for me, but I have been struggling with writer's block for a while. ADHD and anxiety are to blame for my writer's block often when I'm taking classes, but I have been home and watching the news which keeps getting worse and worse. Black lives matter, and my heart breaks for everyone affected by police brutality. 


Warm Cuddly Teddy Bear books
Comfort reads for me.

Like many prolific readers (especially librarians-turned-book-sellers-who-get-employee-discounts), I have a towering TBR pile. And like other bloggers (at least I hope like other bloggers!), I have a stack of books that I've read and haven't written about yet (over 10), but I open my laptop and stare at some posts in draft mode. I have highly recommended and re-shared a book about protesters; I wrote about a few relatively light-hearted books earlier in the quarantine; I reminisced about childhood reads; I updated some of my blog pages. Yet I still haven't gotten as much written as I planned.

Instead, I have been rereading books or scenes from books that I have read hundreds of times before.


I came across this Washington Post article about a month ago, "For a lot of book lovers, rereading old favorites is the only reading they can manage at the moment." I also broke down and subscribed to the Post, but if you did not, here are some passages that I relate to:

If you’re wondering why rereads are what you most want, the answer is simple: Your brain, much like the rest of you, is tired. As many experts, including coach and author Alexis Rockley, have recently explained, our cognitive energy is a finite resource, steadily being used up by every piece of “new abnormal” we have to manage. . . 
That loss of cognitive energy for someone like me, who loves reading above all things save carbohydrates, means that my mind doesn’t have its usual pep when confronted with a new book, a new world and new characters. This was initially upsetting, as there are piles of new books I want to read. My solution for now is to revisit some of my favorite past companions instead. . . .
 Aarya Marsden, an avid romance reader who also writes reviews for my site, Smart Bitches, Trashy Books, says that lately, she doesn’t have the energy to reread an entire book. To get around that problem, she is rereading her favorite scenes. “Ten minutes of comfort reading in the morning is enough to give me a happy buzz for the entire day,” she said. “It starts the day off on the right note and then I can read a new book at night.” . . .
There’s a sense of security that comes with a reread: You already know what’s going to happen, no spoiler alerts needed. That aspect appeals to Marsden. “There’s comfort in being able to predict and control your surroundings,” she said. “It’s a relief to sink into something that goes exactly to plan.” 


I could wax poetic about some of my favorite comfort reads, but probably you don't want to hear about all my cheesy romance novels packed tightly in my bookcase (if you haven't read Red, White, and Royal Blue, however, stop whatever you're doing and READ IT NOW).

warm cuddly teddy bear and books
My son's old teddy bear with two of my favorite books

When I first started this blog, I designated some books to receive book awards. I have largely abandoned that, although it is on my "list" of things to work on "later." One of my awards is the Warm Cuddly Teddy Bear (WCTB) award, described thusly:

A WCTB book is the book equivalent of a warm, cuddly teddy bear.  You keep this book forever even if it looks worn and ratty to everyone else.  WCTB books are the books that you keep just to reread over and over again; the ones you are so familiar with that you can literally open them to any page and just start reading without any confusion; your favorites that you pick up and read when you are stressed and need to relax.  Hence, the warm, cuddly teddy bears of books. 
So without further ado, here are 10 books from this blog that I reread frequently. If I could somehow turn these books into teddy bears and cuddle with them, believe me, I would. I'd cuddle with them anyway if not for paper cuts and such. 😁

1. Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe


Aristotle and dante discover the secrets of the 9781442408937 hr
Author: Benjamin Alire Sáenz

What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer):  This is such a character-driven book, it's difficult to explain what it is about.  It's about Dante and Aristotle and their wonderful friendship.  It's about being Mexican-American and relating to your extended family, siblings, and parents.  It's about love, prison, art, PTSD, literature, homophobia, poetry, and feeling confused. It's about the power of close friendships and coming-of-age.  It's about finding yourself and discovering the secrets of the universe.
   
Why it's a WCTB (from my original review): Dante and Aristotle is the very definition of WCTB book.  I love them SO MUCH--I wish they were real people (I probably wouldn’t stalk them. Well, only their Instagram. That’s all). I love everything about this book; it makes me laugh; it makes me cry; it makes me goofily smile like a big dope.

I love the well-rounded characters who are NOT perfect; they often act like annoying teenagers.  I love that the book is set in the 1980s. I love that the author is writing a sequel.  I love that Lin-Manuel Miranda narrates the audio book!

Read more of my review HERE.


2.  Gracefully Grayson
   
gracefully grayson cover
Author:  Ami Polonsky

What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer): Grayson has lived with his* aunt and uncle since the death of his* parents when he* was in preschool, and Grayson has a secret that Aunt Sally and Uncle Evan do not know: Grayson is actually a girl on the inside, even though she has a boy body. When Grayson auditions for and wins the part of the leading female in the school play, life becomes more complicated.

Why it's a WCTB (from my original review): Grayson auditions for the school play and when she gets the lead, she's thrilled.  Finally, Grayson will be able to wear a gorgeous gown like she has always wanted to do.  She also finds supportive friends and a supportive drama parent in the cast.  TEARS of happiness.

Read more of my review HERE.

   

3. George

george book cover
Author: Alex Gino

What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer): People may think she's a boy, but George knows in her heart that she's a girl.  George's mother claims that she might feel differently in a few years; George's friend thinks she's kidding at first; George's teacher won't let her try out for Charlotte in Charlotte's Web.  But George knows who she really is, and she just needs a chance to prove it to everyone.


Why it's a WCTB (from my original review): George is an adorable book.  It's appropriate for kids; there's no cuss words at all (I know, I did a keyword search in the e-book to make sure) and sex isn't even discussed.

There's ONE throwaway line where George's older brother mentions dirty magazines.  OMG WHAT IF MY THIRD GRADER ASKS WHAT THOSE ARE??? Tell your kid those magazines are for adults, and chill out.  Please.

As for me, I'm thrilled that such an easy-to-read, sweet story has been written about a transgender child.  I'm keeping this book with all my WCTB books.  READ GEORGE TODAY.


Read more of my review HERE.



symptoms of being human cover
Author:  Jeff Garvin

What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer): Riley is gender-fluid and suffers from severe anxiety.  They decide to start an anonymous blog talking about gender-fluidity and is surprised when the blog gains thousands of followers.  Unfortunately, someone at Riley's school finds out about their blog and threatens to out them, which makes Riley's life complicated because their father is a congressman who is working to pass an important education bill.

Why it's a WCTB (from my original review):  I have never read such well-written descriptions of anxiety and panic attacks, which my oldest child and I suffer from. I hope that this book will inspire discussion about anxiety as well as gender dysphoria and fluidity.

 I love this book. The story was interesting, entertaining, and educational--PLUS it mentions something very important about Star Wars: HAN SHOT FIRST.  Just another educational aspect of this book.


Read more of my review HERE.


5.  My Most Excellent Year: A Novel of  Love, Mary Poppins, & Fenway Park


My most excellent year book cover
Author:  Steve Kluger

What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer): TC, Augie, and Alè tell stories of their freshman year in high school.  When TC was six, his mother died, and TC and Augie became close friends and "brothers."  Alè is new in school, the daughter of the US ambassador to Mexico, and secretly taking singing and dancing lessons. TC develops an instant crush on her. Meanwhile, Augie comes into his own as a fabulous, singer-dancer-actor, taking the school by storm in Kiss Me Kate.

Why it's a WCTB (from my original review):  Wow, I am not sure I can adequately describe how much I loved this book.  I think I will just list some of the awesome [characters] of the book below:
   
  • TC Keller: aka Anthony Conigliaro Keller (yes, this is the character's "Facebook profile", love it!), knows TONS of baseball trivia. Adopts Augie Hwong as his brother (I am 100% enjoying whatever teacher assigned "create Facebook profiles" as a book report assignment).  Adopts Hucky Harper, learns sign language to communicate with him. Aaaawwwwwwww.
        
  • Augie Hwong:  "Doesn't know he's gay yet" per TC, his father, and pretty much everyone else.  Obsessed with old movie starlets ("Divas of the Week"), such as Judy Garland, Liza Minnelli, and Natalie Wood.  Fabulous director, singer, actor, and dancer. Stars in Kiss Me Kate along with Alè.  Brings down the house with his renditions of "Too Darn Hot" and "Always True to You in My Fashion."

Read more of my review HERE.
  




darius the great cover
Author: Adib Khorram


What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer):  Darius is half-Persian on his mother's side but has never fit in anywhere--he enjoys Tolkien, Star Trek, and tea (making him a target for bullies) and lives with clinical depression. He thinks things will be the same when he and his family go to Iran to visit his grandparents, but then Darius meets Sohrab and becomes close friends with him. With Sohrab, Darius has never felt so comfortable--has he finally found his place?

Why it's a WCTB (from my original review):   I recommend Darius to anyone who likes character-driven books, struggles to make sense of their emotions, and longs to be loved and accepted by their families. So pretty much everyone in the world.

And in fact, readers, I like Darius as much as I like Aristotle and Dante.

To quote the great Charles Dickens: "And that's not high praise, tell me higher, and I'll use it."



Read more of my review HERE.


7.  Ship It

ship it cover
Author: Britta Lundin

What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer): Claire is a sixteen-year-old obsessed with Demon Heart. Her fanfiction shipping the show's two male leads is super popular online. But when Claire questions  lead actor, Forest, about his character being gay, he laughs her off, revealing his homophobia. When the Q&A goes viral, Claire is invited to tour with the show cast to Comic-Cons to help repair the show's now homophobic image. She then meets another fangirl, Tess, and Claire questions her own sexuality.


Why it's a WCTB (from my original review):  Another reason why I relate to Claire? Her exploration of her sexuality. I am just going to quote this entire paragraph:
I've seen the queer kids on Tumblr, with their proud statements . . . I'm happy they know themselves. But I just don't understand how they get to that point. Did they just wake up one day and say, I see it now, I'm definitely gay! And if it was long and slow, how did they eventually know they'd reached the end of it? . . . Maybe I'm not gay or straight or bi or anything. Maybe I'm just me (pg. 37).
I am over 40 years old and this paragraph still describes me. Currently, I describe myself as mostly asexual but pan or biromantic, but sometimes I feel more demisexual than asexual, and sometimes not; sometimes I'm attracted to only one gender but sometimes not--sometimes, I just want everyone to leave me alone and let me eat cake. I know that's what the word queer is for, but dangit, queer still feels so negative to me.


Read more of my review HERE.




lily and dunkin cover
Author: Donna Gephart


What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer): Lily knows she is a girl and wishes her father would stop calling her Tim and the bullies at school would leave her alone. Will she able to finally start hormone blockers? Dunkin is new in town and desperate to fit in, so why should it matter if he skips his bipolar medications occasionally if he becomes a better basketball player? Lily and Dunkin become friends despite the obstacles life throws at them.

Why it's a WCTB (from my original review):  I love Lily and Dunkin but instead of writing about it immediately, I kept it to myself for a while. Why? Well, I related to a lot of parts of the storyline. And I'm finally ready to share those thoughts, some of which are personal (and scary).

I've written about my trans son before in my reviews for Gracefully GraysonGeorge, and The Other Boy. I've written about my older son's mental illnesses (autism, anxiety, PTSD) and some of my own struggles with depression and anxiety in The WhispersDarius the Great is Not Okay, and The Music of What Happens.  

Lily and Dunkin is an amazing book that I've reread several times already. I recommend it for mature upper elementary school students and older. And especially, I recommend it to parents: those who have children with special needs and those who do not. It will open your eyes to some of the hidden struggles children and parents face daily.

Also, I didn't mention Bob the tree, which is a very important part of the story.


Read more of my review HERE.




like a love story cover
Author: Abdi Nazemian

What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer): In 1989 New York City, Art is young, out, and proud, and protests with ACT UP to get the government to takes the AIDS crisis seriously. Reza just moved to New York, and he is shy and terrified of being outed. Judy, whose Uncle Stephen is dying of AIDS, dreams of being a fashion designer. Judy begins dating Reza, and her and Art's friendship suffers when Reza and Art fall for each other.

Why it's a WCTB (from my original review):  When I read The Porcupine of Truth, it opened up my eyes about how clueless of a child I was during the late 80s/early 90s AIDS crisis (obviously, the crisis wasn't limited to those years, but those were the years I learned about AIDS). Like a Love Story is now tied with Porcupine for my favorite AIDS-related YA book, and it also takes place during those childhood years of mine.

I wanted to do something similar to my Porcupine posts and add stories of AIDS from the 1980s. I thought about asking Twitter followers, but when I across this pinned tweet by Tucker Shaw, I knew I wanted to use it in this post. I will write my own thoughts, along with quotes and excerpts from the Like a Love Story (in pink text) intertwined with excerpts from Shaw's tweet (in purple text).


Read more of my review HERE.



cardboard kingdom cover
Authors: Chad Sell, with Jay FullerDavid DemeoKatie SchenkelManuel BetancourtMolly MuldoonVid AlligerCloud JacobsMichael ColeBarbara Perez Marquez, and Kris Moore (posthumously).

What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer): All the children in the neighborhood spend the summer playing fantasy characters, including an evil sorceress and her minion, a huntress, a handsome prince and dashing rogue, a beast, a gargoyle, a robot, an animal queen, and more. The children make their own imaginative costumes and set pieces out of cardboard and furniture; they don't always get along perfectly, but solve their conflicts appropriately, often by "battling" each other in their cardboard kingdom.

Why it's a WCTB (from my original review):  I enjoyed how the kids in the cardboard kingdom did NOT always get along--there was a stereotypical bully character, yes, but there were also socially awkward kids, who didn't want to share, play by other kids' rules, or play in a large group. The introverted ones. Yep, that is how I was and still am and it's nice to see these kids represented in an ensemble story.

The diversity of the children is also amazing. Different races and ethnicities, as well as sexualities, are represented. The parents do not play a large part in the story, and when they do, they are also not perfect, but they take the time to apologize when they realize they made mistakes. So important!



NOTE: Read the reviews of these honorable mentions: One True Way, Social Intercourse, Where You Are, Middle School's a Drag, and The Porcupine of Truth

********** 


 
These books are available here: https://library.greensboro-nc.gov/








Learn more about the Rainbow Book List here: http://www.ala.org/rt/glbtrt







No comments:

Post a Comment