Saturday, February 20, 2021

Be Dazzled--"Amazing and whole, the fragments of many moments joined together to create something entirely alive and real. Something incredible, out of nothing."

Title: Be Dazzled


Author: Ryan La Sala



LGBTQ+ Representation: two main characters are gay and lesbian and other LGBTQ+ identities are also represented


Content Warning: cruel parent


What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer): Raffy is an extremely talented cosplayer who designs and builds intricate costumes. He hopes to win a top prize in the year's biggest cosplay competition, which could lead to sponsorships that would allow him to attend art school. However, he finds out that his ex-boyfriend, Luca, is working with another of their friends and has also entered the cosplay contest. But what goes wrong with their relationship? And can Raffy and Luca work together again?


First of all: 
I must apologize to the world because I have not posted a review on Reverie, La Sala's amazing debut book. I attended the book club meeting where we discussed the terrifying drag queen villainess and messed-up our OWN reveries would be, but then I never wrote a review! I must fix that as soon as possible because Ryan La Sala is my favorite author to follow on Twitter. Seriously, follow him--you won't be sorry. 

Now--prepare to Be Dazzled!


What I think (in 250 words or fewer): Be Dazzled clearly has a double meaning as a title--you will "be dazzled" by the plot and also think about bedazzling, covering something with jewels. When I visited La Sala's website, I found this picture:


A bedazzled Be Dazzled! Love it!!

Speaking of double-meaning, from my summary: "Can Raffy and Luca work together again?" Am I talking about cosplaying or relationship? Well, both--you'll have to read the book to find out. But don't worry, it's worth it! 

Be Dazzled teaches a lot about the time and attention to details it takes to create original costumes. Seriously, this is much more involved than any of the sewing, mending, and adapting Goodwill finds into costumes for school and community theater plays. I barely have the attention span to sew on a button, and when I was a teacher, I offered the Amish girls in my classes extra credit to sew the holes in my stuffed animals, so creative cosplayer I am not. I really did enjoy learning about the costumes, with Him from the PowerPoint Girls being my favorite (and Raffy can't even say I am an easy-to-please Millennial--I am GenX dangit). 

In addition to Luca, I enjoyed reading about Raffy's relationship with his best friend, May. I liked how serious Raffy is about his craft and also how his friends call him out when he is too serious and should relax. Raffy feels betrayed by his other friend Inaya (me too!), but it all works out in the end.


This book is too new to be on a Rainbow List--watch this space!


My final takeaway (in 75 words or fewer): Of course you should read this book, if for no other reason than the description and details given to describing Raffy's creations! I did have one problem with it, though: Raffy's snobby artist mother. She is emotionally abusive (which he does acknowledge in the story) and quite neglectful. I know that in YA books the adults have to be absent to make the plot work, but ugh, his mother is the worst. 

I miss Comic-Cons.


Memorable quotes/passages from the book: 
  • "The kiss ends like all my projects: amazing and whole, the fragments of many moments joined together to create something entirely alive and real. Something incredible, out of nothing" (pg. 81).
  • "And it's like time stops for just us, the rest of the world still and oblivious as we wander through it. It's like we exist in a loop, a reverie, a world that is created when our hands connect and disappears when we break apart" (pg. 149).
  • "Con strategy is like a family mac'n'cheese recipe. Everyone's got their own way of doing it" (pg. 150). 
  • "Millennials love a good reference, and they all watch PPG. They'll know me in a second, and I know the reaction is going to be wild" (pg. 159).

Other reviews: Punk-Ass Book Jockey and The Candid Cover.


If you liked this book, you should read The Boy in the Dress, Debbie Harry Sings in French, and Middle School's a Drag, You'd Better Werk!.


**********


 
This book is available here: https://library.greensboro-nc.gov/







Learn more about the Rainbow Book List here: http://www.ala.org/rt/glbtrt






No comments:

Post a Comment