Thursday, November 4, 2021

In Deeper Waters--"Tal would've thought it was a fairy tale if not for the sand in his collar, the water in his boots, and the ache of his body"

Title: In Deeper Waters


Author: F.T. Lukens



LGBTQ+ Representation: Main characters are queer


Content Warning: Violence, near-drownings


What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer): Prince Tal has spent his life isolated from the rest of the kingdom in order to hide his magic, something that is seen as extremely dangerous (especially after what his grandfather did). On his coming-of-age boat trip, Tal saves Athlen, who mysteriously survives a dive off his ship. Tal can't stop thinking about Athlen: could he be the one who accepts Tal for who he is, magic and all?


What I think (in 250 words or fewer): I haven't blogged in months; I have read a lot of good books but just couldn't bring myself to write about any of them, until now. I enjoyed this story so much I thought it would be a great way to ease back into regular blogging. And I did it!

I love the high fantasy, fairy tale world created in this story. Magic, either having powers or being a magical creature, kind of takes the place of homophobia in this world. Tal does not have to hide his attraction to boys and girls but does have to hide his magical powers in order to keep his family safe.  

Athlen also has to hide who he is, although I figured it out pretty quickly. Probably because I just watched Luca, which is another sweet story that I recommend.  

Other than Athlen's identity, I found the plot to be NOT predictable and whenever the characters were in peril, I honestly was not sure how they were going to escape, which kept me reading. I gasped aloud a few times near the end and have re-read the actual ending chapters several times each because they are so good. They make me feel all warm and fuzzy and are a great way to end the story. 


This book is too new to be on a Rainbow List--watch this space!


My final takeaway (in 75 words or fewer):  I checked this book out of the library, but I plan to buy it soon so I can re-read the ending whenever I want. If you want a adventure-filled, high fantasy tale with a happily-ever-after, you should read In Deeper Waters.


Memorable quotes/passages from the book: 
  
  • "Tal, I wasn't afraid of you because of your magic. And I do think you're wonderful. That's the truth" (pg. 78).
      
  • "Tal spit out a mouthful of grit. 'Die in a fire'" (pg. 87).
      
  • "He was done being hurt. He was done being used. It was his turn to wrest control of his life from the whims and machinations of others" (pg. 125). 
      
  • "Tal would've thought it was a fairy tale if not for the sand in his collar, the water in his boots, and the ache of his body. But he wouldn't trade it for anything else" (pg. 297).

Other reviews: Bookstacked and The Nerd Daily


If you liked this book, you should read Ash, The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy, and When the Moon was Ours.


**********


 
This book is available here: https://library.greensboro-nc.gov/






Learn more about the Rainbow Book List here: http://www.ala.org/rt/glbtrt




No comments:

Post a Comment