Friday, June 14, 2019

The Red Scrolls of Magic--"A warrior chosen by angels and a well-dressed demon's child, in love and intent on adventure through Europe. What could go wrong?"

Title: The Red Scrolls of Magic


Authors: Wesley Chu and Cassandra Clare


LGBTQ+ Representation: One main character is gay and the other bisexual. Secondary characters are lesbians and another secondary character is asexual and aromantic.


What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer): Now that Valentine is defeated, Magnus is excited to take his boyfriend, Alec, on a trip around the world. However, their plans are interrupted when Magnus discovers that a demon-worshipping cult (which he supposedly founded?) is intent on wreaking havoc throughout the world. With the help of another warlock, Shinyun Jung, Magnus and Alec work together to stop the cult.


What I think (in 250 words or fewer): I have been waiting for years for this book and was so excited to read it! It did not disappoint.

During the part of Mortal Instruments in which this story is set, I was not a fan of Alec and knew that soon, he and Magnus would [spoiler deleted]. I knew that in order for the story to be true to the series, Alec has to be a bit annoying and immature. However, away from the pressures of the New York Institute, Alec is a bit relaxed and therefore NOT as uptight as he was at this point in the books, and it works beautifully.

I really enjoyed all the action scenes with Alec totally kicking some butt, yet still saving his man. Other Mortal Instruments characters make appearances; look for hilarious phone conversations with Jace and Isabelle (also Raphael! I miss him).

Helen and Aline's backstory is great to read, since their romance is another that happens "off-page." Shinyun is a great, mysteriously intriguing character. Plus--a certain green warlock makes an appearance at the end--I can't wait to find more! He does show up in QOAAD, but we don't know his story.

I love how the pictures of Alec and Magnus on their trip referenced in COFA are mentioned and appreciate how a few clues of Magnus and Alec's later issues are foreshadowed.  Enough kissing/lovey-dovey scenes in the story to make me squee, but not enough to bore those not interested in reading a romance.


This book is too new to be on a Rainbow List. Watch this space!


My final takeaway (in 75 words or fewer): I recognized Cassandra Clare's world-building and writing in Magnus's sense of humor and character dialogues. The action scenes seem a bit different likely due to the co-writer Wesley Chu. I enjoyed them enough to find books by Chu to read, so yay!

I wish I did not have to wait so long to read the rest of the trilogy. I recommend this book for fans of The Mortal Instruments and am not sure it could stand alone very easily.


Memorable quotes/passages from the book:  
  • "I'm on vacation, and I won't be bothered with this nonsense. Tell the Spiral Council I will be giving my cat, Chairman Meow, a bath" (pg. 26).
  • "Magnus had walked infernal realms in hallucinations caused by demon poisons, been homeless and hungry in streets that were now ruins, been desperate enough to set water ablaze, been extremely drunk in the desert. He did not think doom was coming for him in an upscale hotel in Rome.
    But he loved Alec for worrying" (pg. 215).
  • "You can poison me and throw me in a dungeon. You can beat me and even sacrifice me to a Greater Demon. But I draw the line at wearing a white suit for an evening event" (pg. 268).
  • "When Magnus had pictured beautiful and sensual moments with his beloved Alec, or moments in which he himself was self-sacrificing and noble, he had not envisioned his beloved Alec looking so annoyed" (pg. 341).


Other reviews: TMI Source and Hypable.


**********

This book is available here: https://library.greensboro-nc.gov/

Learn more about the Rainbow Book List here: http://www.ala.org/rt/glbtrt








No comments:

Post a Comment