Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Let's talk Cassandra Clare's Shadowhunters books--9 reviews in one!

Let's talk Cassandra Clare books!  I plan to review three (maybe more!) of them separately, but I am squishing reviews for nine of the books in this one post.  Lots and lots of spoilers as well as my very biased opinions appear in the following reviews. 👼

Review #1: Original Mortal Instruments trilogy-- City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Glass




Author: Cassandra Clare


What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer):  Teenage Clary discovers that she is actually a Shadowhunter, a group of warriors descended from the angels who have special powers to carve runes on their skin and defeat demons. When Clary's mother disappears, Clary becomes part of the Shadowhunter world, learns about other magical creatures that actually exist, solves the mystery of her parentage, falls in love with Jace, and fights many battles against scary creatures--including her own human father.


What I think (in 250 words or fewer): I was late to the Mortal Instruments party.

When the first book came out, I heard many Harry Potter and fanfiction readers with incredibly negative opinions:  Clare, they claimed, had plagiarized huge sections of her stories.  Plus, rumors flew that Clare was rude to her critics and her fanfiction following.  Author Sherrilyn Kenyon sued Clare for copyright infringement.

These rumors and issues (and the super passionate Harry Potter fan-students in my Honors English class that year) biased me. I read the first few chapters of City of Bones when it first came out, decided "Mundane" was too close to "Muggle" and promptly quit the series.

However, I did give the books a second chance.

A couple of years ago, I watched an episode of Shadowhunters.  I fully expected to snark at the whole thing--the dialogue wasn't the greatest, the acting left something to be desired, and the demons made me giggle.  But then I found myself very un-ironically becoming super invested in the story and characters.

I checked the trilogy out from the library and tried again.

I still have problems with the original trilogy.  For example, I disliked all of the main characters except for Magnus, who makes the books worth reading, and Simon, who has the best lines. And Jace and Clary are just UGH together and Jace is a JERK. I like that Alec happens to be gay, but that's not his only personality quality.  I found the plot to be predictable, but it held my attention.


My final takeaway (in 75 words or fewer): This trilogy is just average, but it does a lot of world-building that is important for later books. I have read a lot of series in which the later ones are better than the beginning ones.  In fact, this is the case for most of the series I've read and enjoyed.  So give this series a chance because the later books, short stories, and even the fanfiction that comes out of this world is amazing.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Review #2:  Infernal Devices trilogy--Clockwork Angel, Clockwork Prince, Clockwork Princess



Author: Cassandra Clare


What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer):  In this prequel to the Mortal Instruments trilogy, teenage Tessa Gray's guardian has just died, and she is traveling to London to find her brother.  Instead she is kidnapped by two creepy ladies and thrown into a world of vampires, werewolves, fairies, and other unsavory magical creatures--and introduced to the Shadowhunters, who protect everyone from evil, including animated corpses brought to life through clockwork and dark magic.


What I think (in 250 words or fewer):  My first thoughts about this trilogy were that Clare had really improved her writing skills.  The plot was not nearly as predictable as in the first trilogy, and the villain was downright creepy. The setting of Victorian London with its dark imagery was fantastic.

Steampunk is not something that I've read a lot of,  and I found it fascinating enough to read a few other steampunk sci-fi stories.  The clockwork creatures in these books are the stuff of nightmares.  Think evil invincible robot puppets powered by gears and demon blood.

Magnus Bane is his usual quirky bisexual warlock self in this book and is still incredibly awesome.

I liked Tessa okay, but once again, the main male character, Will Herondale, was a total jerk.  I think his character is redeemed even less than Jace's is.  I liked that the book set up a love triangle, but I was team Jem the whole time.

But major spoiler alert: due to Tessa's immortality, she can live one lifetime with Will, and then has a second chance for a life with Jem in the future.

I liked seeing the ancestors of the characters in the Mortal Instruments trilogy, but I got annoyed that in many cases, they looked and acted so much like their 21st-century counterparts.  How is that possible without generations of in-breeding? Yuck.


My final takeaway (in 75 words or fewer): This trilogy is very good.  I liked it better than the original, but I would recommend that you read the original trilogy first.  Also, elements from these three books (and also a major character!) appears in the second Mortal Instruments trilogy, and it's fun to read references to the "past" in the "present" books.  Totally worth reading.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Review #3: Mortal Instruments second trilogy-- City of Fallen Angels, City of Lost Souls, City of Heavenly Fire 

[Okay, technically these are books 4, 5, and 6 and the original three are not a trilogy but a hexalogy.  But they feel like a second, continuation trilogy to me, and who says hexalogy anyway???]



Author: Cassandra Clare


What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer):  Yes, the big bad guy was defeated at the end of City of Ashes, but at what cost?  Jace and Clary have kept the events at Lake Lin (specifically, bringing Jace back to life) a secret from the rest of the Shadowhunters, but now, something is wrong with Jace. Greater demons have entered the world, and the Shadowhunters face more dangers than they ever have before.


What I think (in 250 words or fewer):  I was so "meh" about the first trilogy, and somewhat more intrigued by the Infernal Devices.  I was in no hurry to pick up the next book, but I had invested myself in the characters thus far and wanted to see them through.

Imagine my surprise when City of Fallen Angels trapped me in the bathtub.

I really, really like City of Fallen Angels, City of Lost Souls, City of Heavenly Fire. I swear Clare grew so much as a writer it's almost as if those first books were written by someone else.

As for the characters, I really still didn't like Jace and Clary, but they were much more well-rounded in these books; I was even rooting for them as a couple by the end.  Simon's character arc was the best--he really gets to experience pretty much all of the magical world.

I also enjoyed Alec's character arc.  He started off as closeted, rude, and actually quite immature.  Magnus puts up with a lot from him, and honestly I would have lost respect for Magnus if he had NOT broken up with Alec when he did.  Of course it made me sad (because it made Magnus sad and nobody better make Magnus sad!), but it allowed Alec to grow into his character and become totally kick-ass.  They both needed time apart as a couple and are better for it.  Team Malec FOREVER. 💕

The short stories and Internet-only extras related to these books are also worth reading.

My final takeaway (in 75 words or fewer): Read these books!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------

My favorite quotes/passages:  One from each book, retrieved from Goodreads since I do not own all the books.
  • “'Don't order any of the faerie food," said Jace, looking at her over the top of his menu. "It tends to make humans a little crazy. One minute you're munching a faerie plum, the next minute you're running naked down Madison Avenue with antlers on your head. Not,' he added hastily, 'that this has ever happened to me.'” (City of Bones)
     
  • “'Mom. I have something to tell you. I’m undead. Now, I know you may have some preconceived notions about the undead. I know you may not be comfortable with the idea of me being undead. But I’m here to tell you that undead are just like you and me … well, okay. Possibly more like me than you.'” (City of Ashes)
      
  • “'You said you were going for a walk!? What kind of walk takes six hours?'
    'A long one?'" (City of Glass)
      
  • "When Will says enterprising, he means morally deficient.'
    'No, I mean enterprising,' said Will. 'When I mean morally deficient, I say, 'Now, that's something I would have done.'" (Clockwork Angel)
       
  • "'You're the shape-changer, aren't you?' Ragnor said.  'Magnus Bane told me about you. No mark on you at all, they say.'
    'No.  No mark.'
    He grinned around his fork.  'I do suppose they’ve looked everywhere?'
    'I’m sure Will’s tried,' said Jessamine.” (Clockwork Prince)
      
  • "No one can say that death found in me a willing comrade, or that I went easily." (Clockwork Princess)
      
  • “'Medium clever,” Simon acknowledged. 'Like a cross between George Clooney in Ocean's Eleven and those Mythbusters guys, only, you know, better looking.'
    'I’m always so glad I have no idea what you’re vacantly chattering about,' said Jace. “It fills me with a sense of peace and well-being.'” (City of Fallen Angels)
       
  • "Isabelle snorted, 'All the boys are gay.  In this truck, anyway.  Well, not you, Simon.'
    'You noticed,' said Simon.
    'I think of myself as a freewheeling bisexual,' added Magnus.
    'Please never say those words in front of my parents,' said Alec.” (City of Lost Souls)
       
  • "'You can't go around like that,' she said.  'You look like you escaped from a romance novel.'  Isabelle laid a hand dramatically against her forehead.  'Oh, Lord Montgomery, what do you mean to do with me in this bedroom while you have me all alone?' She unzipped her jacket and tossed it to the floor, revealing a white tank top.  She gave him a sultry look.  'Is my virtue safe?'
    'I, ah--what?' Simon said, temporarily deprived of vocabulary." (City of Heavenly Fire)

These books are available in the Greensboro Public Library.




No comments:

Post a Comment