Thursday, September 17, 2020

The Lost Book of the White--"I guess I assumed you came to taunt us and lecture us"

Title: The Lost Book of the White (Eldest Curses Book Two)


Authors: Wesley Chu and Cassandra Clare


LGBTQ+ Representation: Main characters are gay and bisexual 


What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer): An old enemy (and not-dead friend) returns to torment Alec and Magnus again, this time stabbing Magnus with a magical thorn, which, if not fixed in time, will make Magnus a servant to the demon Sammael. With the help of their friends, Alec and Magnus venture into hell to save the day. But can their warlock son, Max, survive an extended visit with his grandma without accidentally burning down the institute with his out-of-control magic?


What I think (in 250 words or fewer): I was looking forward to reading this Eldest Curses book even more than Red Scrolls because of the timeline in which it was set, which is after Mortal Instruments but before Dark Artifices. Alec and Magnus are new parents and are deliriously happy and kissy. And Max excitedly and accidentally sets fires with his cute, baby warlock magic.

However, the book is not all fluffy. Shinyun is a formidable villain, and I honestly did not know how they were going to overcome the power of the thorn. [Minor spoiler: Clary's alliance rune makes an appearance.] I like the Shanghai setting and how the hell dimension is a reverse of Earth. Jem and his family make an appearances, which is definitely exciting. We find out why no one remembers Jem and Tessa's wedding! 

I'm glad that we got to read Simon struggling with his new identity as a Shadowhunter (and George's death). But it made me wonder--why haven't we had a series from Isabelle's POV? Jace and Clary have so much, Simon has Academy . . . but Isabelle has nothing. We need more Izzy!

Knowing what is coming up in the Dark Artifices, I wish that Robert Lightwood had been able to spend some time with Max in this book, but Max with Maryse is hilarious--and does Maryse have a *love* interest? 

The cliffhanger ending really makes me look forward to the third book!


This book is too new to be on a Rainbow List--watch this space!


My final takeaway (in 75 words or fewer): Of course you should read it; it's Alec and Magnus. What's not to love? And did I mention that they are cutesy and kissy to the point of annoying Jace? Bonus!


Memorable quotes/passages from the book:
  • "Magnus watched, marveling at the strange happiness of his life now, as a beautiful, extremely fit man with no shirt and startlingly blue eyes care for the baby they had together. He cursed his own sentimentality and tried to think sexy thoughts" (pg. 16).
       
  • "Living forever isn't a power when your life is a tragedy" (pg. 92). 
       
  • "I literally fight demons for a living. We've adopted Max into an incredibly dangerous family situation. I know that! I mean, forget the actual fighting, the monsters, the dark magic. I'm a gay Shadowhunter in a relationship with a famous Downworlder, who is himself the son of  a Prince of Hell. My father is the Inquisitor and my parents were members of a hate group . . . I like our life, Magnus. I like that I don't know what will happen next. I like that we get a chance to give Max the kind of life that warlocks rarely get. I like that we'll be doing it together" (pg. 165).
       
  • "'I didn't come here to argue philosophy with you, Magnus.'"
     'I didn't think you did,' said Magnus. 'I guess I assumed you came to taunt us and lecture us'" (pg. 254).


Other reviews: Fangirlish and TMI Source


If you like this book, you should read Willful Machines, The Love Interest, and Huntress.



********** 

 
This book is available here: https://library.greensboro-nc.gov/







Learn more about the Rainbow Book List here: http://www.ala.org/rt/glbtrt




No comments:

Post a Comment