Monday, November 4, 2019

The Hidden Oracle--"When one is a god, the world hangs on your every word. When you're sixteen . . . not so much."

Title: The Hidden Oracle (The Trials of Apollo, Book #1)



Author: Rick Riordan


LGBTQ+ Representation: Main character is bisexual, secondary characters are gay.


What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer): Apollo, the (rather arrogant) god of the sun, music, and poetry, has been cast down from Olympus to Earth by Zeus as punishment. Apollo is appalled (ha!) that he is now a gawky teenage boy named Lester Papadopoulos. He must restore five oracles to to regain his godly status, and since he no longer has powers, Apollo must seek the assistance of Percy Jackson and the other campers at Camp Half-Blood.


What I think (in 250 words or fewer): I adore Riordan's Percy Jackson and Magnus Chase series; the narrators written in first-person point-of-view have amazing voices. Apollo's voice is also amazing, and I think I was smiling and lol-ing throughout much of this book, even through the suspenseful parts.

Apollo is a delightful character, through his flaws (arrogance and then surprise when he remembers that he is a normal mortal teen) and virtues (very caring, especially towards his children). He is completely open about his bisexuality:
 
I admit I did not understand Will's attraction to a child of Hades, but if the dark foreboding type was what made Will happy . . . Oh. Perhaps some of you are wondering how I felt seeing him with a boyfriend rather than a girlfriend? If that's the case, please. We gods are not hung up about such things. I myself have had . . . let's see, thirty-three mortal girlfriends and eleven mortal boyfriends? I've lost count (pg. 92).

Preach, Apollo!

The plot reads similarly to the Percy Jackson books: Apollo gets a "quest" (of sorts), works together with a few other Half-Blood campers to solve the mystery, meets some hilarious characters (my personal favorite is the geyser god, Pete, who is concerned that they will leave a bad review on his customer service survey), and defeat some terrifying monsters (giant killer ants? NO THANK YOU!!!).

 I enjoyed spending time with Chiron and some of the other Camp Half-Blood residents, but . .  MEG! I am so sad that Meg [spoiler deleted]. Just read it to find out.


This book is on the 2017 Rainbow Book List.



My final takeaway (in 75 words or fewer): I can't wait to read the rest of Apollo's trials! Riordan's first-person point-of-view novels are truly my favorites. I also, as a teacher, parent, and generally curious person, enjoy that every time I read a Riordan book, I do some research on Greek, Roman, or Norse mythology.


Memorable quotes/passages from the book:
       

  • "Underarm deodorant--what a ghastly idea that I should need enchanted salve to prevent my armpits from producing stench!" (pg. 130).
        
  • "She [my daughter] reminded me very much of her father, the Canadian archery coach Darren Knowles. I mean her other father. And yes, of course it's possible for a demigod child to to spring from such a relationship. Why not? Zeus gave birth to Dionysus out of his own thigh. Athena once had a child who was created from a handkerchief. Why should such things surprise you? We gods are capable of infinite miracles" (pg. 143).
      
  • "When one is a god, the world hangs on your every word. When you're sixteen . . . not so much" (pg. 149).
      
  • "Why would I suffer through a concert given by an ugly purple-suited man who called himself the Beast? I wasn't even a fan of death metal polka!" (pg. 169).

Other reviews: Dear Author and The Laughing Place


If you liked this book, you should read Carry On, Girls of Paper and Fire, and Shadowhunters.
    

And, obviously, all the other Rick Riordan books.

   
**********

This book is available here: https://library.greensboro-nc.gov/



Learn more about the Rainbow Book List here: http://www.ala.org/rt/glbtrt













No comments:

Post a Comment