Wednesday, October 17, 2018

The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy--"I'd rather write my own legends. Or be the story someone else looks to someday."

Title: The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy


Author: Mackenzi Lee


What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer): Felicity escapes to London for two reasons: to avoid marrying Callum the baker and enroll in medical school; however, men are the ones in charge and they will not admit women to their schools.  Felicity then finds out her childhood friend, Johanna, is marrying a famous doctor, so Felicity plans to crash the wedding and meet the doctor. This leads to Felicity and Joanna involved in an adventure of medicine, pirates, petticoats, and sea dragons.


What I think:  Pirates and Petticoats is the companion book to Vice and Virtue.  I didn't love Felicity's voice as much as I loved Monty's, but I definitely enjoyed her story.

Felicity is very practical, logical, and driven, and not interested in finding a husband or acting like "a proper woman should."  In fact, she is very disdainful of women who do fit the 18th century ideal, as seen in her conversation with Joanna:
[Johanna says] "Caring about things like parties is beneath a woman like you?" . . .
 "I didn't say that . . . But you made it clear that you thought me less of a woman because I don't care about balls and card parties and boys and ridiculous blue dresses."
 She folds her arms. "Well, you seemed to think I was less of a person because I did." (hardback edition, pg. 180).

Johanna certainly is just as strong as Felicity, even though she is more conventionally feminine.  I enjoyed her character, and also the character of Sim, the Muslim female pirate who unwittingly becomes part of their adventures.  I love how all of the bad-a** pirates freak out at the sight of a lady's petticoat.


Felicity's lack of interest in romance caused this book to be advertised as having an "asexual/aromantic heroine," which is notable because most YA books tend to be heavy on the romance. Felicity herself expresses frustration in this funny [well, funny in context] speech:
"But the point is moot as I don't think it's ever really going to be good because I don't seem to desire that sort of relationship with anyone the way everyone else does. But just because she kissed me doesn't mean she likes me. I once saw you necking a hedgerow."
 Monty blinks. "I meant likes as in begrudgingly respects, but my word, how long have you been bottling that up, darling?"

Speaking of Monty--I love him so much. And Percy, too, and I was glad they appeared in the story.  And without spoiling the ending, I think he and Percy are going to be fine, even if Monty has to live in Johanna's house and impersonate [spoiler deleted].

Don't get me wrong, I like the girl-power trio of Johanna, Sim, and Felicity, but Monty. 😍 Like the Marvel movies: they're great on their own, but add Loki, and they become super awesome.


This book is on the 2019 Rainbow Book List.


My final takeaway (in 75 words or fewer): Read it, this book is fantastic. I want a dog named Max and a baby sea dragon. Mostly a baby sea dragon because I doubt it would affect my allergies. But could it live in a fresh water pond? I'm going to say yes. I would also like a pirate tattoo even though that's not super historically accurate.


Memorable quotes/passages from the book:
  • "Anyone who puts up with my brother certainly would not be doing it unless they really, sincerely loved him. . . When stripped of the illegalities and Biblical condemnation, their attraction is no stranger than anyone's attraction to anyone" (pgs. 36-37).
      
  • "'You furry little b******,' I hissed at the [stuffed] gibbon. 'Whoever placed you there is very cruel.' The gibbon says nothing in return--thank God, or else I might have sincerely shat myself" (pg. 260).
       
  • "I want to work and learn and be taught by someone smarter than me. I want to help people. Which I am not allowed to do because I am a woman" (pg. 296).
       
  • "I'd rather write my own legends. Or be the story someone else looks to someday. Build a strong foundation for those who follow us" (pg. 429).

Other reviews:  The Young Folks and Old Firehouse Books


This book is available in the Greensboro Public Library.



No comments:

Post a Comment