Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Simon Vs. The Homosapiens Agenda--"White shouldn't be the default anymore than straight should be the default. There shouldn't even be a default."

Title: Simon Vs. the Homosapiens Agenda



What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer):  Simon is gay and hasn’t come out to the world yet.  He is in an email “relationship” with Blue, another student from his high school in the same situation.  Simon thinks he might be falling in love with Blue, but when some jerky kid finds out about the emails, Simon’s life suddenly becomes much more complicated.


What I think (in 250 words or fewer):  First of all, this book reminded me of all of the GOOD times I had in high school--NOT the angsty parts.  Definitely a point in its favor!

Like Simon and his group of friends, I was a massive theatre geek, and my social life revolved around plays and rehearsals.  I remember doing performances for the school, getting to miss class most of the day, walking through the halls and cafeteria in costume and makeup, and thinking how
cool it was. 

I loved the way Simon and his friends interacted with each other--I immediately imagined my group of friends in high school in the same situations.  So even though I have been out of high school for longer than I’d care to admit, I related to the characters immediately. 

Even though none of my friends were “outed” in high school, it was something that could have happened, so I sympathized with what Simon goes through in the story. His friends are incredibly supportive (I like to think my friends would have been just as supportive, but most of us were pretty closeted in our high school) and everything works out in his favor.

I am a former drama teacher/director, and the way the drama teacher struck down some bullies immediately is one of the highlights of the book for me. The love story is adorable without being mushy, and the happy ending warms my heart. Definitely a feel-good book that I will re-read.

The movie is also very adorable and enjoyable.


Awards:
2016 Rainbow List


My final takeaway
: This is an adorable and relatable story. You should read it. I love Albertalli's characters and dialogue. And did I mention Simon's parents and sisters? They were awesome. Simon has a great family.


My favorite quotes: (I had a hard time narrowing these down to my favorites, since I kept reading Simon's narration and thinking OMG this was SO me in high school!)
  • "I'm used to the other kind of party.  The kind where you go to someone's house and their mom shows you down to the basement, and there's junk food and Apples to Apples and a bunch of people randomly singing.  Maybe some people playing video games" (p. 42, 2016 paperback edition).
  • "We only had about six trick-or-treaters. Of course, that means I am contractually obligated to eat the leftover Reese's cups" (p. 56). 
  • "I'm a little bit excited to be going to lunch with my stage makeup still intact . . . It's just kind of awesome to be marked as part of the ensemble" (pg. 216-217).
  • "White shouldn't be the default anymore than straight should be the default. There shouldn't even be a default" (p. 269).

Other reviews: Common Sense Media and The Guardian


This book is available in the Greensboro Public Library.




No comments:

Post a Comment