Sunday, March 29, 2020

Kings, Queens, and In-Betweens--"The only thing about bliss is that it's sometimes accompanied by ignorance"

Title: Kings, Queens, and In-Betweens


Author: Tanya Boteju


LGBTQ+ Representation: Lesbians, gay, drag queens, trans, gender non-binary, queer, questioning.


What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer): Seventeen-year-old Nima, is bored with small-town life in Bridgeton; plus, she's dealing with her mother abruptly leaving the family and a crush on her straight best friend. When Nima enters the mysterious "artsy" tent at the local festival, she befriends a drag queen and becomes a part of the drag scene in the neighboring town. Will Nima find love, overcome her awkwardness, keep her friends, and come to terms with her mother's decisions?


What I think (in 250 words or fewer):  Based on the cover, I expected a light-hearted, maybe silly, romp through drag culture, but this was definitely not the case with this book. However, even though it is not at all what I thought it would be, it's worth reading.



My adult readers: remember trying to impress the impossibly cool, older, maybe-in-their-early-20's crowd when you were 17? Maybe by drinking too much booze at a party? Flirting with someone to make someone else jealous? Having an unrequited crush on someone who does not share your sexuality but gives out mixed signals which then gives you hope?

I felt so bad for poor Nima (I've been there!!); I wanted to give her a hug, since HER MOM is UGH.

Nima's dad is incredible, but I feel completely comfortable judging Nima's mom for leaving. Yes, something awkward happened, but GOOD LORD, DEAL. Nima is SEVENTEEN, and needs her mom, and her mom will never be able to get those years back.

I wish that a benevolent, wise drag queen could be a common trope in books (and in life, actually). I would read a crossover series of Deidre with the characters in To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar.

Nima has much more patience for the town bully than I ever would. The description of Winnow's performance of Freedom '90--DAYUM. I want my own Winnow, but I'm pretty sure I would, even at the age old of 42, be just as awkward. Sigh.


This book is on the 2020 Rainbow Book List.


My final takeaway (in 75 words or fewer): A few more observations--I wish things had been more resolved with Nima and her mom, although I thought what happened was super realistic. I want a companion book from Gordon's POV, and I'm still waiting for my adventure series with Deidre, the drag queen of wisdom.

I thought for sure that Nima's ending song was this instead of [SPOILER].

Oh yeah. And you should read this book.


Memorable quotes/passages from the book: 

  • "The sideburns screamed masculine, but her soft, shifting limbs and elegant eyelashes spoke all girl. She emanated stillness and exertion, modesty and brashness. And then none of those things but something in between" (pg. 77).
       
  • "I guess I'd always considered myself a girl who was into other girls--I hadn't sorted out any labels yet. And I'd never had anyone label me either--certainly not in public in front of practical strangers--until this past couple of weeks" (pg. 193).
        
  • "The only thing about bliss is that it's sometimes accompanied by ignorance" (pg. 316).
      
  • "As annoying as boobs can be, I'd take them over a penis any day" (pg. 354).


Other reviews: Acquadimore Books and It's Either Sadness or Bookphoria


If you liked this book, you should read Ship It, Leah on the Offbeat, and Dress Codes for Small Towns

**********

This book is available here: https://library.greensboro-nc.gov/



Learn more about the Rainbow Book List here: http://www.ala.org/rt/glbtrt
















No comments:

Post a Comment