Sunday, September 29, 2019

One Man Guy and Hold My Hand--"It's like all my life I was eating frozen yogurt. And kissing boys is ice cream."

Titles: One Man Guy and Hold My Hand




Author: Michael Barakiva


LGBTQ+ Representation: Main characters are gay


What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer):
One Man Guy--Alek's excitement over summer break turns to dread when his parents enroll him in summer school. But there, he meets Ethan, a cool skater boy. Alek can't believe someone like Ethan would want to be his friend, let alone be more than friends. Besides, Alek isn't gay . . . is he? And what would his conservative Armenian-American parents think of Ethan? Are they too different to make it together?

Hold My Hand--Alek and Ethan's six-month anniversary is coming up, and Alek is wondering if he and Ethan should take their relationship to the next level--but then Alek finds out that Ethan has done something so terrible that Alek is not sure whether he should stay with Ethan anymore. Should he move on to the cute boy at Greek school (while working to change his church) or give Ethan another chance?


What I think: Between watching Greta Thunberg's speeches and reading some awesome girl-power books, I am ready to smash the patriarchy! But before the smashing occurs, I wanted to recommend this adorable book duo about Alek and Ethan.

At the heart of these stories are not only Alek's romantic relationship but his family relationship as well. The Khedarian family incorporates many Armenian traditions in their family, especially with regards to hospitality and cooking. They are overbearing, loving, and hilarious enough to make me laugh out loud several times while reading. For the most part, their two sons are the "perfect" children, who show lots of love and respect for their parents, even when their parents embarrass them in public.

I was NOT (okay, I still am not) an obedient child (too much of a stubborn rebel for that) and have been blessed with children just like me (ha!). I found myself laughing but also kind of envying the relationship Alek has with his parents and brother, Nik. I imagine I felt a bit like Ethan does in the book--as the son of a busy single father, Ethan does not have the experience of being a part of a close-knit Armenian-American family.

Alek is a bit of a rebel when he first starts dating Ethan, and his parents do impose consequences on him, but they are not abusive, homophobic, or unfair. What Alek and his brother (who has his own issue) do to get back in their parents' good graces is genius. Both Khedarian boys have mad cooking and hosting skills. Their parents definitely instilled that in them for sure.

The second book has Ethan and Alek engaging in an honest conversation about sex, which exposed Alek's naivete (more hilarious than awkward to read) and I thought, "Wow, Alek doesn't know this" but then I remembered that I was so asexual in high school that I didn't even know how asexual I was and I definitely didn't know the mechanics of sex (plus, all the gay boys I knew at the time were either closeted or just as virginal as I was).

Kudos to the author for including that sex talk, but to my surprise, the talk inadvertently causes Alek to find out that Ethan [SPOILER DELETED]. I was so disappointed in Ethan and so sad for Alek.

I haven't even mentioned everything I liked about the books: Alek's kick-ass rollerblading friend, Becky; the use of Rufus Wainwright songs; the fun adventures the boys had on their dates; the facts I learned about the Armenian genocide; Remi and his "polyamorous pansexuality;" Alek's quest to get his church to change its stance on same-sex relationships. Oh, and Senor Huevo!


One Man Guy is on the 2015 Rainbow Book List,

Hold My Hand is too new to be on a Rainbow Book List yet, but watch this space.


My final takeaway (in 75 words or fewer):  These books are so much fun to read; and I obviously have told you what I liked already, but mostly, I really enjoyed the prose itself. Both stories are light-hearted and funny and just a treat to read. Each book can stand alone just fine; I actually read them out of order.

Oh, and Ethan: your Barnes & Noble trick? Yeah, that doesn't always work in real life. This bookseller is on to you. ๐Ÿ˜‰


Memorable quotes/passages from the books:

From One Man Guy:
  • "It's like all my life I was eating frozen yogurt. And kissing boys is ice cream" (pg. 135).
  • "I hate the idea of my baby having to deal with any more pain in this world than he already has to . . . And if you think this excuses you from providing me grandchildren, you couldn't be more mistaken" (pgs. 209-210).

From Hold My Hand:

  • "From where I'm sitting, mixing fabrics is much more shocking than me having a boyfriend. Why, just last week I saw your wife sporting a cashmere pashmina over a wool jacket. And I think her blouse was made of cotton. I prayed extra hard for her that night, Reverend Father" (pg. 68).
  • "That's right. We're your terrible heteronormative, heterosexual parents who have repeatedly welcomed your boyfriend into our house and tried to show you and him every courtesy we can. And now we're even worse because we're worried sick because we believe you've had a breakup" (pg. 144).

Other reviews: Book Smugglers: One Man Guy and Kirkus: Hold My Hand


**********

This book is available here: https://library.greensboro-nc.gov/


Learn more about the Rainbow Book List here: http://www.ala.org/rt/glbtrt













No comments:

Post a Comment