Monday, December 10, 2018

The Summer of Jordi Perez (and the Best Burger in Los Angeles)--"You're a girl and you date girls. You have all the girl knowledge someone could possess"

Title: The Summer of Jordi Perez (and the Best Burger in Los Angeles)


Author: Amy Spalding


What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer): Abby is super excited when she lands an internship at one of her favorite boutiques; finally, she can get her start working in fashion beyond writing a plus-sized-fashion themed blog. Abby does not plan on falling for her fellow intern, photographer Jordi; or becoming friends with Jax. But will Abby's insecurities cost her her relationship with Jordi and jeopardize a possible paid-position with the boutique?


What I think (in 250 words or fewer): When I was a junior high teacher, I would have my students write "a class constitution" together. The list of classroom rules and norms would always include something about behavior, and when I would ask a new class about behavior, one student would say "The Golden Rule!" and everyone would nod, knowing that the Golden Rule is the end-all of behavior rules, and then I would say "but the Golden Rule is actually extremely naive and selfish."

Silence. No one had ever dissed the Golden Rule in front of them.

It's true, though. The Golden Rule states that you should treat others like you want to be treated. It does not take into account anything that other people feel.  I always encourage students to embrace the "revised" Golden Rule: Treat others like they want to be treated.

Anyway, I told this story because when I was reading the book and Jordi makes a faux pas with her [spoiler deleted], upsetting Abby unintentionally, all I could think was "if only Jordi'd learned about the revised Golden Rule! She would not have upset Abby!"

Random stories notwithstanding, this entire story was like reading yummy ice cream after eating asparagus and gross protein supplements. I loved it! So cute and romantic and happy. Also, Abby gains some self confidence, matures in her relationships with her friends, reaches an understanding with her mother, and is just so darn likable.

Her first date with Jordi is relationship goals! 😍


This book is under consideration for the 2018 Rainbow Book List.


My final takeaway (in 75 words or fewer):  I am trying to think of something I didn't like about this book, but I really can't. It did make me crave cheeseburgers. Her relationship with her mom reminded me of mine. Abby's low self-esteem made me sad, but she did get her happy ending. Read this book. It will make you happy.


Memorable quotes/passages from the book:
  • "You're a girl and you date girls. You have all the girl knowledge someone could possess" (hardback edition, pg. 39).
      
  • "I guess I thought friendship was something you'd always need in one specific way, but it basically goes without saying that my friendship with Jax is nothing like like mine with Maliah, and somehow not in a way that makes it worse . . . or even better. It's just its own thing" (pg. 168).
      
  • "I like how I look, usually, but people--especially people on the internet--can be so mean when you're fat. As if fat makes you stupid or dirty or irresponsible. As if fat makes you anything other than . . . fat" (pg. 204).
      
  • "'Of course I love you,' Mom says.
    'Well, then like me.'
    'Oh Abby." She somehow gets me to turn my face to look at her. 'I just want your life to be easy'" (pg. 231).

Other reviews:  Teen Librarian Toolbox and Confessions of a YA Reader


This book is available in the Greensboro Public Library.



No comments:

Post a Comment