Saturday, December 22, 2018

What if it's Us--"The universe wouldn't get us together for just one summer, right?"

Title: What if it's Us



Authors: Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera


What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer): Arthur is working as an intern in New York City for the summer when he meets Ben, a New York native, at the post office. Arthur believes in fate and the power of the universe. Ben is a more jaded--after all, he was at the post office to mail back his ex-boyfriend's stuff. When they reconnect via mixed connections, they begin dating. Are they destined for a great summer romance, or a short forgettable fling?


What I think (in 250 words or fewer): I read and enjoyed all of Albertalli's other books, which made me feel warm and fuzzy. I enjoy following Silvera on Twitter, but his books are so sad--one upset me so much I couldn't even; one I'm scared to read because of THE TITLE, and the third is in my TBR pile, but I'm determined.

I fully admit I am procrastinating reading some wonderful, well-written Silvera books because I know how much I cry, and I cry at almost everything. It's exhausting!

This sneak peek made me use my employee discount to buy it when it first came out, and I found What if it's Us absolutely adorable!

I loved every second of it, with the exception of a part where I got angry at Ben for being late and losing those front-row seats UGGGHHHH what were you thinking, kid?? But like Arthur, I manage to forgive Ben. (Also, like Ben, I tend to be late to things).

Speaking of these two boys, I love them both. Arthur is the Broadway showtunes fanatic who has "no chill." Ben is taking summer school and writing a fantasy series. Both boys have supportive friends who are great supporting characters and could easily have their own storylines.

There is slight drama and a bit of angst; their relationship is realistic in its moments of sweet awkwardness. Are Ben and Arthur destined to spend more than one summer together? I say YES, and I'm pretty sure most readers would agree with me.


This book is on the 2019 Rainbow Book List.


My final takeaway (in 75 words or fewer): Definitely read What if it's Us--a feel-good book for sure. Any tears you might cry will be the happy type, and you might just get slightly choked-up instead of sobbing. Also, I enjoyed the pop culture references, which might make the book seem dated sooner, but that just means you should read the book now and not wait!

Not all fluff--homophobia, discussions of privilege, and parent conflicts are also part of the plot.


Memorable quotes/passages from the book: 
  • "'Don't people get murdered on Craigslist?'
    'Nope. . . They get murdered for not getting on Craigslist fast enough and wasting my time'" (hardback edition, pg. 47).
      
  • "Seriously, what if he kisses me, and it's like kissing Uncle Milton? What if my first kiss and my last kiss are the SAME KISS? I need a guidebook for this. I need a fairy godmother" (pg. 150).
      
  • "'What Hamilton fans are called, Arthur, I am one of them.'
    'You're not just saying that? You're not obligated to like it, though you would be wrong not to.'
    'No, I'm a total Hamil-head.'
    'We're called Hamil-fans, actually'" (pg. 230).
      
  • "We're the worst. I mean, we're the best. But we're the worst. You always think you're too much, and I feel like I'm not enough" (pg. 415).


Other reviews:  Common Sense Media and Shelf-Awareness.


This book is available in the Greensboro Public Library.



No comments:

Post a Comment