Thursday, May 23, 2019

The Whispers--"I don't see any harm in praying to the Whispers. Maybe they're listening."

Title: The Whispers


Author: Greg Howard


LGBTQ+ Representation: Male main character is gay (does not explicitly describe himself as such, but claims he has "a condition," kisses boys, and is not interested in girls)


What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer): Eleven-year-old Riley's mother disappeared four months ago, and he is determined to find her. She used to tell Riley bedtime stories about the "Whispers" that lived in the woods and granted wishes--could the Whispers be real? And could they help Riley find his mother? Riley is determined to find out, but what if his "condition" is what caused his mother to disappear?


What I think (in 250 words or fewer): Three years ago, my kids and I moved from Indiana to North Carolina. My two older children reacted in a way that I had not anticipated: acting strangely around my father, accusing him of doing and saying things he never would.

Therapy helped me figure out they were experiencing transference. My children didn't consciously remember what happened before our move--however, subconsciously they did, and unconsciously they redirected their emotions towards my dad.

In Whispers, Riley experiences childhood traumatic grief due to his childhood trauma.

Once I explained anxiety to my oldest,"Your brain is playing tricks on you. Don't believe it." I like Riley's simple explanation better:
My head and my heart have been working overtime to protect me the last few months (pg. 220).

I figured out pretty quickly what really happened to Riley's mother, but a big part of me hoped I was wrong (to quote Riley, "Why not hope?").

Then, something else sad happens, (which would have caused childhood me to NOT finish the book). However, this leads to a ceremony that leads to closure for Riley.

I cried even more when Riley sings a lullaby he remembers from his mom. Since a character had been humming Billy Joel songs, I sang the lullaby lyrics to the tune "Good Night My Angel." (doesn't quite work).

Lastly, the descriptions of the small town, scenery, and characters are amazing. I could almost hear the noises of the forest and see the fireflies at night, the descriptions were so vivid.


This book is too new to be on a Rainbow Book List. Watch this space!


My final takeaway (in 75 words or fewer): Whispers iboth heartbreaking and heartwarming, with full of beautiful imagery and excellent uses of flashbacks. This could be a great story for parents and young readers to read and discuss together, especially for young children struggling with grief and/or sexuality. Nine- through twelve-year-olds are NOT too young for these topics, and since these discussions can be difficult for adults to initiate, this book would be a good starting point.

Also, buy the expensive tissues. 😢😭


Memorable quotes/passages from the book:
  • "I swallow. 'Have you ever seen one of these . . . hobgoblins?'
    'PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES!' Grandpa yelled from the den" (pg. 32).
         
    [Editor's note: I refuse to believe this wasn't done on purpose.  Also, it is HILARIOUS. 😂]
       
  • "There's no medicine or treatment for my condition. Jesus can't heal me either. I already asked--a lot. Maybe the Whispers can, though. Why not hope?" (pg. 35).
       
  • "I know a lot of people have been praying to God about Mama and I guess He's been real busy or on vacation or something, because it sure hasn't helped. I don't think He's listening anymore, so I don't see any harm in praying to the Whispers. Maybe they're listening" (pg. 25).
       
  • "One is proof that [character] is an actual real doctor. The other is proof that [character] has another degree in being a bachelor. No surprise there" (pg. 214).

Other reviews: Kidsreads and Rosie Freckle Reads.

Also, interview and another interview with the author.


********

This book is available here: https://library.greensboro-nc.gov/

Learn more about the Rainbow Book List here: http://www.ala.org/rt/glbtrt









No comments:

Post a Comment