Wednesday, February 24, 2021

The Greatest Superpower--"If she can stand up for her truth, I can stand up for mine . . . I hope."

Title: The Greatest Superpower


Author: Alex Sanchez



LGBTQ+ Representation: The main character's father is a transwoman. Supporting characters are gay and gender-fluid.


Content Warnings: Bullying and homophobia. Inferred child abuse. A past suicide attempt is mentioned.


What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer): Jorge and his twin brother Cesar are shocked when their parents announce their divorce and are even more shocked when they find out the reason: their father has always felt like a woman and is now going to start living as a woman. Cesar vows to never speak to his father again, while Jorge struggles to accept his dad as Norma. Will Jorge's friends (and the cute new girl!) be able to accept Norma?


What I think (in 250 words or fewer): I was so excited to see a new book by Alex Sanchez that I bought this book immediately instead of shelving it (book seller perks). I am not disappointed by my purchase; the story is adorable. 

Cesar and Jorge are biracial twins who couldn't look or act any more different: Cesar takes after his Mexican-American father while Jorge favors their white mother. Jorge and his friends create comic books together, while Cesar is the jock who wants to be the popular, class president. Cesar's refusal to talk to his dad made me sad, although I admired Norma for not giving up on her son.

Zoey and her "dog-whispering skills" are a delightful part of the plot, reminding me of how much I wanted to be a dog trainer at about that same age (alas, allergies have foiled that dream).  Jorge's friends are awesome and would have been the people I would have hung out with in middle school. 

Cesar would have been the kid I avoided in middle school, honestly. I like how Jorge is different from his brother but is much more understanding of their differences than I would have been at their age.

Norma is completely honest with Jorge about everything (age-appropriately so). I like how both of the parents do not hide their feelings from their children: they are sad about their marriage ending but are completely honest about why it would not work since Norma is a woman. 

Peppy the dog is SUCH A GOOD BOY.


This book is too new to be on a Rainbow List--watch this space!


My final takeaway (in 75 words or fewer): I would recommend this book not only for middle grades readers, but for anyone who simply has questions about transwomen, specifically why someone would choose to transition later in life. I have a friend who transitioned at age 35; if she had had kids with her previous wife, Norma's story could have been hers. I wish Ceasar's [SPOILER] would have been in his favor.


Memorable quotes/passages from the book:
  • "When we're alone, I confide in him about how my life sucks. His ears prick while he listens. His eyes shine bright with understanding--like dark, glistening chocolates in their eyelash wrappers. And if I wake up scared and lonely in the night, all I have to do is wrap my arms around his warm furry body. His heart's steady thump lulls me back to sleep" (pg. 42).
      
  • "Man or woman matters not. Luminous beings are we, not this crude flesh. The Force is what binds us. And we must honor the Force inside everyone . . . whether they be male or female" (pg. 202).
      
  • "Coach always says, 'When you get tackled in life, you've got two choices. Either stay down feeling sorry for yourself, or pick yourself up and decide that the thing that knocked you flat is going to make you better" (pg. 298).
      
  • "Her belief in me. Her boldness. Her superpower. If she can stand up for her truth, I can stand up for mine . . . I hope" (pg. 318).  


Other reviews: Roger's Reads and Kinzie Things


If you liked this book, you should read Dear Sweet Pea, Better Nate than Ever, and Middle School's a Drag, You'd Better Werk!


**********


 
This book is available here: https://library.greensboro-nc.gov/








Learn more about the Rainbow Book List here: http://www.ala.org/rt/glbtrt







No comments:

Post a Comment