Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Leah on the Offbeat--"It's like it doesn't even matter if I like my body, because there's always someone there to remind me that I shouldn't"

Title: Leah on the Offbeat


Author: Becky Albertalli


LGBTQ+ Representation: Main character and supporting characters are bisexual; secondary characters are gay.


What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer): Leah Burke is getting ready to finish her senior year, and in some ways, she's totally OVER high school, but in other ways, she doesn't want anything to change. Prom is coming up, friends are hooking up and breaking up, and college is starting to seem very close. Also, Leah has not told her friends that she is bisexual and is crushing hard on her friend Abby, who is (probably?) completely straight.


What I think (in 250 words or fewer): I need to apologize to all of the fanfiction writers out there that I scoffed at when they began to ship Leah and Abby. I was totally NOT on board with that ship; Abby was with Nick and that's where I thought she would stay. However, this book did a good job of changing my mind and wanting Abby and Leah to be a couple.


Speaking of Leah--I had a hard time liking her at first, and honestly, after I read the first chapter in which she complained about hating the songs "Don't Stop Believin'" and whined about her friends in the play, the book spent some time in my TBR stack.

But then I realized that Leah is just the same as I was in high school, negative and cynical about traditional high school stuff (like prom) and would not let my mom get excited about such "nonsense"--like shopping for dresses or visiting college. And as embarrassing as it is to admit, I was a major drama queen in high school. Leah and I would have been best friends one day and total enemies the next, which sounds super exhausting, speaking as an old person.

I sound like Leah now as I am writing about the book. Oh no, she has caused me to revert to my high school self! I need to snap out of it. Leah is not my favorite of Albertalli's characters, but she is one that I relate to, even more than Molly from Unrequited.


This book is on the 2019 Rainbow Book List.


My final takeaway (in 75 words or fewer): Leah is definitely a book worth reading. Simon is still my favorite of all of Albertalli's books, which all reflect my high school experiences super well (I have massive musical and drama club nostalgia throughout each story).

A subplot about white privilege and "accidental racism" would make a good discussion topic for students.


Memorable quotes/passages from the book:

  • "That girl is a suburban dad's midlife crisis in a high school senior's body" (pg. 1).
  • "The only thing worse than trying on dresses is hearing a bunch of skinny girls trying on dresses next door. It's like it doesn't even matter if I like my body, because there's always someone there to remind me that I shouldn't" (pg. 123).
  • "I'm pretty sure this is the kind of crush you can die from" (pg. 228).
  • "I mean, that's what I'd assume, seeing a limo full of high schoolers rolling through the suburbs in April . . . Definitely a film preview" (pg. 290).


Other reviews: Vocal Media and Hypable


If you liked this book, you should read Simon Vs. The Homosapiens Agenda, The Upside of Unrequited, Kissing Kate, and Boy Meets Boy.

**********

This book is available here: https://library.greensboro-nc.gov/



Learn more about the Rainbow Book List here: http://www.ala.org/rt/glbtrt














No comments:

Post a Comment