Tuesday, March 3, 2020

All Out--"Love is the only higher power I'll answer to"

Title: All Out: The No-Longer-Secret Stories of Queer Teens Throughout the Ages


Editor: Saundra Mitchell


About the anthology: Seventeen different young adult authors from across the LGBTQ+ spectrum each wrote stories that are included in this anthology. The stories take place during different time periods, locations, and cultures, and across multiple genres.

I am going to review this collection similar to how I reviewed The Bane Chronicles, but not exactly the same since each story has its own author and those authors are all brilliant in their own rights.

Also, this will be a live review! No, I am not usually a zombie reviewing books from my kingdom of the undead, although that sounds intriguing. By live, I mean I am going to read each story, and then write down my thoughts about it right away.


Short story title #1: "Roja"

Author: Anna-Marie McLemore (author of When the Moon Was Ours)


What it's about: El Bajito, Mexico, 1870: A young Mexican girl wields her powerful rage (represented by her red hair) to overpower prison guards and rescue her "lobo," an imprisoned, trans-male soldier scheduled for execution.

My takeaway: Not until I read the author's note and book blurb did I realize that this story is a re-telling of "Little Red Riding Hood," with some details of the story of Leonarda Emilia. The story reads like a fairy tale in the same lyrical style and with similar magical realism of When the Moon was Ours. "Roja" is a story that could be in an old, leather-bound fairy tale book passed down from generation to generation--but it's definitely not old-fashioned. Roja seriously kicks butt!

-------------------------------------------------------------

Short story title #2: "The Sweet Trade"

Author: Natalie C. Parker

What it's about: Virginia Colony, 1717: Clara has decided that marriage is just not for her, so on the day of her second wedding, she escapes in her sloop. While on the water, she rescues another girl, Pearl, who has also run away on her wedding day. The two share a kiss and decide to become pirates together.

My takeaway: This story is so ADORABLE, and I love it! Short and super sweet. Will the girls succeed? Will their families find them? I'm not worried--In my mind, they live happily-ever-after as sword-wielding pirates. After all, Clara does say, "I'm ready to turn the tables. I'm ready to take what's mine and maybe a few things that aren't" (pg. 44).

-------------------------------------------------------------

Short story title #3: "And They Don't Kiss at the End"  

Author: Nilah Magruder

What it's about: Maryland, 1976: Dee is not into holding hands with boys, kissing, or anything to do with sex. But she likes Vince--is it okay that she doesn't want to hold his hand? Is she a prude? Will she change? During a couples' skate at the skating rink, she and Vince come to the conclusion that they don't have to have everything figured out all at once.

My takeaway: I'm a lot like Dee in that I do not like holding hands and kissing all that much, unless I am in a relationship and have a strong connection. Otherwise, hands are sweaty; kisses are slobbery; sex just sounds horrifying. I wish the asexuality spectrum had been something I'd discovered while I was in my teens; I wasted so much time calling myself a prude and a wimp.

I really enjoy all the 1970s references (and Pride and Prejudice!) in this story, and the story reminded me of skating parties in elementary school. I never did "couples skate" with anyone, but honestly, I didn't really want to.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Short story title #4: "Burnt Umber"

Author: Mackenzi Lee (author The Gentlemen's Guide to Vice and Virtue and The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy)

What it's about: Amsterdam, 1638: Constantijn is declared the best artist in his apprenticeship because he does not get distracted when drawing naked women. However, it's a different story when the class switches to drawing male anatomy and the muscular Joost is the new naked model. Luckily, Augustus seems to understand.

My takeaway: I have never been a boy, worked as an artist, or lived in the seventeenth century, and yet, I find myself completely identifying with poor Constantijn, at least when I wasn't cringing and laughing at this poor kid. Teenage angst and awkwardness, man; it totally transcends all genders, hobbies, and decades. This story will make you smile.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Short story title #5: "The Dresser and the Chambermaid"

Author: Robin Talley (author of Our Own Private Universe)

What it's about: Kensington Palace, September 1726: Mary is the new dresser for the princess and seeks help with styling Her Royal Highness's hair from Susanna, the princess's chambermaid. Susanna and Mary befriend, flirt with, and kiss each other. The princess's new hairstyle becomes the talk of the ball, and Susanna's feelings are hurt when Mary does not give her credit. Luckily, Mary comes up with a plan to show Susanna she was sorry.

My takeaway: I love reading historical romance novels, and I especially like it when the characters fall for each other "out of their station." This story applies because a chambermaid and a dresser are considered two different classes of servant. The happily-ever-after style ending is adorable.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Short story title #6: "New Year"

Author: Malinda Lo (author of Ash, Huntress, Adaptation, Inheritance, and A Line in the Dark)

What it's about: San Francisco, January 21, 1955: Lily is eating supper in her friend's family's Chinatown restaurant when she sees Tommy Andrews, the male impersonator from the Club Chi-Chi. Lily recalls the lesbian dimestore novel she has been reading.

Later, Lily and her family, along with her Aunt Judy (who is working to create rockets to the moon), attend the Chinese New Year parade, where Lily sees Tommy Andrews and his lady companion, Lana. Lily talks to them briefly and expresses her desire to go to Club Chi-Chi.


My takeaway:
This short little story sent me on an Internet research rabbit hole. First, Lily's Aunt Judy is based on Helen Ling, one of NASA's Rocket Girls, about which Rise of the Rocket Girls was written, a book that has now propelled (pun intended) itself higher on my TBR list.

Tommy Andrews is based on male impersonators who performed in San Francisco nightclubs in the 1940's and 1950's. Lo mentions the book Wide Open Town: A History of Queer San Francisco to 1965, which, as well, is now added to my books-I-will-read-at-some-point-in-my-lifetime.

I found it fascinating that the Chinese deliberately used stereotypes about themselves during their New Year's parades so that westerners would not find them threatening, and now those stereotypes have become tradition--but are they traditional or just more stereotypical?

Finally, I am imagining Lily as an older lady, having lived a glamorous life, telling this seemingly mundane story to a group of GSA students--telling them that these were the moments in her life that she knew she was a lesbian and that it gets better.

ALSO: Lo's new novel Last Night at the Telegraph Club, is set in the same world as "New Year!" I can't wait to read it.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Short story title #7: "Molly's Lips"

Author: Dahlia Adler

What it's about: Seattle, April 10, 1994: Molly accompanies her friend, Annabelle, to the Seattle Center for a memorial for Kurt Cobain, the leader singer of the band Nirvana. Cobain had committed suicide and Annabelle is devastated. Molly hugs and comforts her, kissing her on the top of her head and wishing that Annabelle could love her like she loved Cobain.

At the memorial, a tearful Annabelle reveals that she has a crush on Molly and quotes lyrics from Nirvana's "Molly's Lips." The girls kiss as the memorial comes to an end.


My takeaway:
 On April 8, 1994, my best friend and I walked to her house from high school (I was 16 but not comfortable driving yet). We went the grocery store across the street and bought full-fat ranch dressing, salad, and frozen pizza. We put the pizza in the oven and subsequently set the oven on fire! While we were trying to figure out the fire extinguisher, the fire burned itself out, and we microwaved the pizza, which was gross and floppy.

Then, we turned on MTV and found out Kurt Cobain was dead. Every time this anniversary comes up in the news or something, I text her to remind her that that was the day we set her oven on fire. Obviously, we are not huge Nirvana fans.

But anyway, I can't believe that this story that I remember so vividly is considered historical fiction, although clearly it is and I am old. Actually, Molly and Annabelle in the story are about my age NOW, which is super weird to me for some reason.

"Molly's Lips," the short story, contains vivid imagery based on a true event (including Courtney Love getting everyone to yell "asshole!") and is sweetly emotional with a happy ending, but is not sappy. "Molly's Lips," the Nirvana song, however, I do NOT find sweetly emotional; I like the Vaseline's original much better.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Short story title #8: "The Coven"

Author: Kate Scelsa

What it's about: Paris, 1924: Amadine ("Dean") and Vivie visit famous writer Gertrude Stein. Vivie is convinced Stein is a witch with a coven; Dean will do anything for Vivie, so she's willing to come along. Plus, Dean is suffering from an ailment. Vivie and Dean meet the coven at dark, where Dean asks the coven to cue her of her "doubt." They take a midnight swim to bind the spell, and Dean and Vivie kiss.

My takeaway: The only reason I have even heard of Gertrude Stein is because in the book Anastasia Again a neighbor is named Gertrude Stein and Anastasia's English professor father comments on it. Stein is fascinating, yet controversial to research and was as openly a lesbian as someone in the 1930s and 40s could be.

Plus, Stein influenced Ernest Hemingway's career, which sent me on another Internet rabbit hole of research. Nowhere, unfortunately, could I find any stories that claim Stein and her long-term partner Alice practiced witchcraft, but Hemingway himself does make a cameo in this story.

I did so much Googling on Stein and Hemingway that I almost forgot what happens in this story. I'd like to think that Stein and Stokes did lead a coven of beautiful, covert lesbians and that Vivie and Dean lived happily ever after among them.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Short story title #9: "Every Shade of Red"

Author: Elliot Wake

What it's about: England, late fourteenth century: Will and Robin are madly in love, in spite of the fact that Robin frequently tells Will that he is "not like other boys." They are part of the group of thieves who live in Sherwood forest, robbing from the rich to feed the poor, of course, but also taking in boys and girls who have been disowned or beaten by their noble families.

Unfortunately, one of the boys they have taken in turns traitor and threatens Will's life. They kidnap Robin, who is living as a trans man--his real name is Lady Marian. The story ends without the reader knowing if Will lives or succumbs to his wounds.


My takeaway: Oh. My. Gosh. Holy moley. This story, despite its short length, was sensual, dramatic, and exciting and contained characters that were just begging for their own backstories. I would love to read an entire series based on these characters in this world.

I immediately researched all of Wake's (nee Leah Raeder's) books right away. I had a hard time researching the author himself; his social media is either locked down or nonexistent, My research did reveal accusations of racism and mixed reviews of his books.

Therefore, I have mixed feelings about this author, and I really wish he would reactivate his social media accounts if he is a good, healthy place to do so. If he's not, I hope he is getting the help he needs because if this short story is typical of him, then he is a fantastic writer!

-------------------------------------------------------------

Short story title #10: "Willows"

Author: Scott Tracey

What it's about: Southwyck Bay, Massachusetts, 1732: Benjamin is used to the Reverend drowning those children who are cursed. Southwyck has always been cursed and ridding those who show signs of being different is the method they have traditionally used to help break the curse. Benjamin is different; he has lived many past lives and remembers them and is afraid that the Southwyck residents have their eyes on him to kill next.

So Benjamin and Sebastian, an orphan who is more than friends with Benjamin, escape into the woods, where they meet some undead witches who vow to protect them if they stay and tend their cottage's grounds.

My takeaway: I had a hard time getting into this story, to be honest. I had to start over when I was halfway through because I was confused about who was speaking and what was happening. I thought for sure that there was nothing actually supernatural going on in the town, except for the fact that Benjamin could remember past lives.

Then they really did meet witches, but the witches are dead, and are . . . cursing the town? Again, I was not sure, but I do know that the witches saw Benjamin and Sebastian doing some non-innocent things in "rushing water when they think no one is around for miles" and then the witches vow to protect Benjamin and Sebastian as long as they take care of their cottage. So . . . are the witches still going to curse the town, causing children to be drowned? Not sure. I think I just don't get this story.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Short story title #11: "The Girl with the Blue Lantern" 

Author: Tess Sharpe

What it's about: Northern California, 1849: Ella lives with her drunkard father and her dog Virgil. Ella's mother is dead and money is tight since Ella's father spends it all on whiskey. One night Virgil runs off into the woods and when Ella chases him, she discovers a girl, glowing with gold and extracting gold dust from the creek. Ella visits the girl, named Oriana, frequently from then on and accepts her gift of gold nuggets. One day Ella's father finds the gold, and he furiously yells and threatens Ella. Ella escapes to the woods, declares her love for Oriana, and enters the creek.

My takeaway: This story leaves me with a bunch of questions, namely: who is Oriana? What world does she come from? Is she a witch, a fairy, a water spirit, a new sort of supernatural creature? In the world of the story, are the miners panning for gold human? Are they assisted by girls like Oriana? What does Oriana mean when she says, "They think you're all the same. I thought so too, until . . . " (pg. 239)?

What is the significance of the creek, and are all creeks like that in this world? Why can Virgil the dog enter the creek but Ella can't? Unlike the story before it, however, I am intrigued by this world and want to learn more, and although I could not find many supernatural-themed folk tales associated with the gold rush in my short Internet search (but did find fun true ghost stories), I am sure those stories are out there.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Short story title #12: "The Secret Life of a Teenage Boy"


Author: Alex Sanchez (Author of  Rainbow Boys, Rainbow High, and Rainbow Road)



What it's about:
Tidewater, Virginia, 1969: Sixteen-year-old Julio and his younger sister Delia are having a normal summer afternoon when they are visited by Cliff, whose car has broken down. Cliff has left college and is on his way to New York to pursue his dream of acting on Broadway. Delia notices the attraction between Julio and Cliff and assumes that Julio is going to run away with him.

Julio briefly considers it and even kisses Cliff but realizes that he's just not ready to leave home. Cliff gives him his peace ring as a memento and drives away in his repaired vehicle. Julio is "ready to tell Mom and Dad the thing they already know."

My takeaway: I love this adorable slice-of-life short story. When these are done well, they are my favorite short stories. And this one is written very well.

In a way, the story is something I may have written in junior high; a handsome stranger's car just happens to break down in front of my house, there's instant chemistry between the two of us, and even though I decide not to run away with the handsome stranger (much to their devastation and heartbreak!), I learn an important lesson about myself, and my life is forever changed by the seemingly chance encounter.

Sounds cheesy and mushy? Yep, but who cares? It's a good story, dangit, and adult-literature-snob me thinks it should stand alone in its perfection, but 13-year-old me is drafting a sequel in which Julio runs away to NYC a few years later to meet his beloved Cliff, who is now a famous actor, who, in spite of his glory and fortune, feels that his life is missing an important piece and can't stop thinking of a chance encounter years before . . .

-------------------------------------------------------------

Short story title #13: "Walking After Midnight"

Author: Kody Keplinger

What it's about: Upstate New York, 1952: A woman misses the last bus, which means she must find a place to stay for six hours overnight until the first morning bus. Laura, a diner waitress, recognizes the woman as former child star Betsey Burns. Betsey is flattered but also embarrassed that she is recognized since her movie roles have dried-up and she is now a stage actress.

Laura and Betsey walk through the town and find out the hotel has no vacancies. Betsey admits that she has never been in love and Laura confesses that she is afraid of growing old and dying in her small town without ever having made something of herself. Betsey tells Laura that her life is only beginning and then impulsively kisses her. They watch the sunset together before Betsey leaves.

My takeaway: Another slice-of-life story! This one is not as poignant to me as the one before it, but it serves as a way to let Betsey know that she is still able to make a difference (and she's not as old and washed-up as she thinks she is) and Laura know that she can be brave and leave her small town. I'd like to think that Laura visits Betsey later in Manhattan and they become friends.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Short story title #14: "The End of the World as We Know It"


Author: Sara Farizan



What it's about:
Massachusetts, 1999: Ezgi is not exactly thrilled to be celebrating the New Year with her parents, but since the world would maybe end (it was going to be the year 2000, after all), she didn't see the point in celebrating at the party with all of the "popular" high school kids. Suddenly Katie, Ezgi's former best friend, arrives at Ezgi's house. Ezgi takes her upstairs hoping to sober her up a bit before Ezgi's parents ask too many questions.

Ezgi and Katie wonder aloud if chaos will ensue when the clock strikes midnight lament the Columbine shootings and Matthew Shepard's murder. Katie leans in and kisses Ezgi, who is surprised because she has never thought about Katie that way. Katie tells her not to make a big deal about it and ruin the moment. Ezgi wakes up in the morning to find that Katie has already left but is planning to break up with her boyfriend.


My takeaway:
 I thought I was old when I read the "historical" short story set in 1994--this one made me feel REALLY old because the year 2000 was just a couple years ago, right? RIGHT???

The Y2K scare and "the millennium bug" are surreal looking back--but people were terrified. Ironically, considering the plot of this story, I also spent that particular New Year's Eve with my best friend and my parents, although our story did not take a romantic turn. We watched the ball drop, watched my computer do absolutely nothing, and that was it.

Even in such a short story, Katie (Ezgi's "best" friend) is a selfish jerk. She's mean because she has apparently ghosted Ezgi for a while, shows up unexpectedly, kisses Ezgi without warning, and when Ezgi is like "Wait, what just happened?" Katie brings up an unrelated anecdote from the past, making Ezgi look bad and feel bad and then Katie just leaves before Ezgi wakes up, avoiding the whole awkward morning after.

I hope Ezgi ditched Katie for new friends in college and is living happily someplace without Katie's negative influence.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Short story title #15: "Three Witches" 


Author: Tessa Gratton



What it's about:
Kingdom of Castile, 1519: Violante has been sent to a convent by her brother Lucas in an attempt to save her lost soul (i.e. punish her) because Violante loved her friend Ines in an "unnatural way." Violante insists that she is not a witch but is still kept prisoner and halfway starved before the nuns start letting a young resident of the convent, Gracia Magdelena, visit her daily.

Another nun stands silently in the corner watching the two girls become friends and develop a deep connection. Violante refuses to denounce her love for Ines--"I did nothing but love," she insists. "I am not a witch." The point-of-view switches to Gracia Magdelena praying for both of their souls; apparently, she also suffered with "unnatural" love.

When the two finally kiss, the nun in the corner who has been silently watching them stands up--apparently she has only been visible to Violante and now that the girls have chosen love "both shall fly with her!" (pg. 310).


My takeaway:
Last weekend I watched two very unrelated-to-each-other TV shows that influenced the images that appeared in my head while reading this story. First, I watched an episode of Haunted Hospitals called "Nun so Wicked" in which this woman was haunted by evil, scary-looking nuns that would silently point. One of those nuns is how I saw the strange, silent nun observing in the corner of Violante's room, and the very idea gives me the creeps. Google evil nun images at your own peril; I'm not gonna.

The second movie I watched was The Song of Bernadette, so I pictured Violante and Gracia Magdelena as pure Bernadette, and Lucas as one of the annoying men who constantly try to mansplain everything. The nun in the corner switched from looking something like this to something like this--and was she really the Virgin Mary at the end, and did the girls die? Or were they rescued?Magically swept away? It's unclear but makes the readers think.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Short story title #16: "The Inferno and the Butterfly"


Author: Shaun David Hutchinson (author of  At the Edge of the Universe)



What it's about:
London, 1839: Alfred is the Mystic Mycroft's assistant, and he is desperately trying to learn the secrets of the rival magician, Virtuoso, who is wowing his crowds with his illusions. If Alfred doesn't learn the secrets of the new illusions, Mystic Mycroft will force Alfred to perform a potentially deadly trick.

Alfred meets Wilhelm, Virtuoso's assistant, who has the power of teleportation. When Alfred begs Wilhelm to leave Virtuoso and join him, Wilhelm teleports him out to the street. Alfred continues to visit Wilhelm daily, even as he rehearses the new magic act that might result in his death. One day Wilhelm begs Alfred to come with him; Alfred refuses but he and Wilhelm kiss and become intimate. On the debut night of the big trick, Alfred panics, but Wilhelm saves him. They run away together.


My takeaway:
 I really like Hutchinson's writing style; his stories are so easy to read and the characters are phenomenal. This story is no exception. Even though it is short, the characters are well-established and Wilhelm and Alfred's love story is believable and does not feel rushed.

Of course there are questions: where do Wilhelm's powers come from? How does he control them? How exactly does he save Alfred from the Inferno? Do the jilted magicians seek revenge? How will Wilhelm and Alfred survive on their own on the streets of London?  I'd like to think they live happily ever after.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Short story title #17: "Healing Rosa"


Author: Tehlor Kay Mejia



What it's about:
Luna County, New Mexico, 1933: This story is told by a 16-year-old girl (who is unnamed, but since she calls herself a "winter girl" at the beginning of the story, I will call her Winter) who is still grieving the death of her abuela, who was a healer (rumored to be a witch by some). Winter's mother has Winter bury the last possessions of Abuela, and Winter grieves not only her grandmother, but her friend Rosa.

Winter and Rosa grew up together and became lovers, but Rosa's papa has forbidden the girls from meeting. Both girls grow sick, and Rosa's papa and Winter's mother claim that Abuela's spirit is haunting them. Desperate, Rosa's father brings an ailing Rosa to Winter's house and begs Winter to heal her. Winter channels Abuela's magic and heals both of them, and they become friends and lovers once more.

My takeaway: I read this story a few times before I could write a summary, and honestly, I'm still not sure I got it right as far as plot goes. What stands out, however, is the narrator's grief over losing her grandmother and her lover and the very strong connection she shares with Rosa. Definitely not confused about their love; it is beautifully described. The description at the end, of Rosa painting hearts the narrator's stomach with cactus flowers, is perfection.

-------------------------------------------------------------

This book is on the 2019 Rainbow Book List.


Memorable quotes/passages from the book:
      

  • "I know I'll always remember where I was when I heard Kurt Cobain killed himself. It's only been two days, but I just know I'll recall every microscopic detail with brutal precision" ("Molly's Lips" pg. 149).
       
  • "For you, happiness is being with a man. For me, happiness is being among friends. Love takes many forms, Will Scarlet. If I must lie to the world to be true to my heart, then I'll lie. I'll cheat, I'll steal, and I'll do it with a smile. Love is the only higher power I'll answer to, and my love is no less for being chaste" ("Every Shade of Red" pg. 188).
       
  • "Being a girl is stupid. People only want to know whom you want to kiss and nothing else" ("It's the End of the World as We Know It" pg. 284).
       
  • "It's springtime now, and the cactus flowers are in bloom. Rosa's cheeks bloom, too, as she traces one along the planes of my stomach, painting hearts until I giggle and pull her down beside me" ("Healing Rosa" pg. 353).


Other reviews: Foxclouds and Bust and New Release Spotlight: All Out Ed. by Saundra Mitchell 


If you liked this book, you should read The Bane Chronicles, Like a Love Story, Girls of Paper and Fire, and Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe. Also, make sure you check out other novels and stories written by each of the authors.

**********


This book is available here: https://library.greensboro-nc.gov/



Learn more about the Rainbow Book List here: http://www.ala.org/rt/glbtrt















No comments:

Post a Comment