Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Only Mostly Devastated--"Sure, he hadn't done the one thin I wanted him to do most of all--declare his love for me publicly on the bleachers in a grand musical number--but that didn't mean I had to knock the baby steps, did it?"

Title: Only Mostly Devastated
LGBTQ+ Representation: Gay and bi characters


Content Warnings: Death of a supporting character, homophobia, obnoxious dude-bro behaviors


What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer): Ollie and Will have a summer fling, but when Ollie enrolls in Will's high school that fall, he finds out that sweet, openly-queer Will is actually a quite obnoxious, closeted basketball star. Ollie tries to keep his attention on his music, new group of friends, and babysitting his cousins (his aunt has terminal cancer), but Will keeps showing up wherever Ollie is. Are they destined to be together, or will Ollie remain only mostly devastated?


What I think (in 250 words or fewer): The premise is similar to Grease and there's a "pink ladies"-type girl group but none of the plot aspects of Grease that really bother me; thank goodness Ollie does not end the book wearing leather, quipping "Tell me about it, stud."
  

All of the popular Danny Zuko-types I knew in high school were athletic, so it makes perfect sense that Will is a basketball star. And he and his friends are obnoxious, but in a typical, high-school-boy-athlete way. Come to think of it, maybe I shouldn't have been rooting for Ollie and Will to get together. Ollie even acknowledges that he keeps falling for a boy who keeps letting him down.

But I did ship them hard. I couldn't help it. Although Will makes some immature, high-school-boy decisions, he and Ollie really do belong together (says my high-school me, who can't stop squee-ing).

I was annoyed by one of the female secondary characters, kind of the "Rizzo" character. She reminds me of some of the moody and cranky junior high and high school girls I used to teach. Yes, her behavior is obnoxious, but less so if you look at her reasons behind her behavior. She's also fiercely loyal and not afraid to speak her mind, so let's just say I would like her on my side in a fight.

There's a sweet message about appreciating your family and a death that made me sob, so be prepared.


This book is on the 2021 Rainbow Book List.


My final takeaway (in 75 words or fewer): I read this book all in one sitting. I enjoyed it immensely and would recommend it to anyone, unless you are annoyed by Grease similarities and/or (age appropriate) obnoxious high school athletes. I even liked the Hollywood style [SPOILER] at the basketball game. Sigh. I'm a romantic at heart.

Bonus that it takes place in North Carolina. I grew up in Indiana but now live in NC, so either state representation is a bonus.


Memorable quotes/passages from the book: 
  • "I was still getting lost more often than the girl in the Labyrinth movie, except I didn't even have David Bowie in tights as a reward for my efforts" (pg. 45).
      
  • "Here walks Ollie Di Fiore. Mast of his feelings, expert detacher, only mostly devastated" (pg. 51).
      
  • "Sure, he hadn't done the one thin I wanted him to do most of all--declare his love for me publicly on the bleachers in a grand musical number--but that didn't mean I had to knock the baby steps, did it?" (pg. 98).
      
  • "Maybe the last thing I would have expected would've been the grand entrance of the Great, Ethereal Being, floating in on a cloud and playing the accordion while a group of warehouse aliens performed an interpretive dance to his music" (pg. 262).


Other reviews: Teen Librarian Toolbox and Drizzle & Hurricane Books


If you liked this book, you should read The Gravity of Us, Camp, and Be Dazzled (coming soon).


**********


 
This book is available here: https://library.greensboro-nc.gov/







Learn more about the Rainbow Book List here: http://www.ala.org/rt/glbtrt







No comments:

Post a Comment