Tuesday, May 1, 2018

The Upside of Unrequited--"I was Molly in high school"

Title: The Upside of Unrequited


Author: Becky Albertalli


What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer): Molly's had 26 crushes, all unrequited because she just can't get herself to take a chance and possibly be rejected.  But now Molly's twin sister, Cassie, has a new girlfriend with a single friend, Will. Could he be the one Molly takes a chance on?  But what about Reid, the Tolkien and Game of Thrones guy Molly works with?  He doesn't make Molly as nervous as Will does, so is he the right one for her?


What I think (in 250 words or fewer):  If you are looking for a book with diverse characters, this is a very good choice. Cassie identifies as pansexual. Their family is Jewish.  Molly and Cassie have two moms, Patty and Nadine.  Patty is white and bisexual; Nadine is African-American and lesbian. Cassie's new girlfriend, Mina, is Korean-American. Biracial Abby, from Simon Vs the Homosapiens Agenda, is Molly and Cassie's first cousin. Simon makes a cameo appearance.

Molly is overweight, shy, and very self-conscious. She knows she is supposed to like Mina's friend, Will, because then she will finally have a boyfriend! Plus, Cassie wants Molly to get a boyfriend so much that she kept pushing Molly and Will together, even when Molly and Will don't really click. Molly is so insecure she assumes she and Will don't work because of something she did and almost misses her chances with Reid, who is an awesome guy (and not a hipster wannabe like Will).

I was Molly in high school; heck, I'm a lot like Molly now.  I almost had trouble reading the book when Molly assumes Reid doesn't like her, but then texts Will again, making Reid think that Molly doesn't like him, and OMG I wanted to smack them both.  Things do work out between them, which is where my high school story is different. 😉

The story takes place in June 2015 when gay marriage is legalized, and Patty and Nadine marry. Molly plans a wedding using DIY Pinterest ideas and it's almost too cute to imagine.


This book is on the 2018 Rainbow Book List.


My final takeaway: I really like Albertalli's writing style and I can totally relate to her main character (obviously!). I did not enjoy this book as much as Simon Vs the Homosapiens Agenda, but I did enjoy it.


My favorite quotes:
  • "You can't vag-block someone in a frozen yogurt shop.  A frozen yogurt shop vag-blocks itself" (hardback version, pg. 23).
       
  • "'Your bastard children are very happy for you!'
    'Oh my God!  We won't be bastards anymore!' . . .
    'Aww, you guys will always be our bastards'" (pg. 86).
       
  • "These days, Nadine talks about her boobs as if they're sentient beings.  They're always waking her up or leaking through her nursing bras or demanding to be drained, like cows on a dairy farm.  They have their own boobish agenda" (pg. 116-117).
       
  • "If Cassie got married, you'd have to kill me to keep me away. And even then, I'd show up as a zombie. I'd be the Zombie of Honor. I'd lurch down the aisle with my face oozing off and my eyeballs popping out into my bouquet. But I would never, ever miss it" (pg. 172).

Other reviews:  NPR and Entertainment Weekly


This book is available in the Greensboro Public Library.




No comments:

Post a Comment