Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Symptoms of Being Human--"I'm only going to talk louder"

Title:  Symptoms of Being Human


Author:  Jeff Garvin

What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer): Riley is gender-fluid and suffers from severe anxiety.  They decide to start an anonymous blog talking about gender-fluidity and is surprised when the blog gains thousands of followers.  Unfortunately, someone at Riley's school finds out about their blog and threatens to out them, which makes Riley's life complicated because their father is a congressman who is working to pass an important education bill.

What I think (in 250 words or fewer): Symptoms of Being Human is an excellent book. I do not know anyone in real life who is gender-fluid; I know many trans people, but they are all binary.  In fact, the reader never finds out what Riley's biological sex is.

As a writer, I think this is an excellent choice.  As  a reader, I was frustrated because I really wanted to know what Riley's bio sex!

I'm actually kind of embarrassed that I, who preach over and over that gender is a social construct and it's no one's business what's in someone's pants, cared so much what was, well, in Riley's pants.  I guess, to my credit, at least I realize that it's none of my business!

Riley experience bullying at their new school, but makes two new friends: Bec, who becomes a love interest, and Solo, nicknamed after the BEST Star Wars character, who defies the football player stereotype.

Riley's dad is a congressman (political party unspecified, another great choice from the author--but I decided that Mr. Cavenaugh is a progressive, human Republican 😉) and Riley feels guilty about coming out to their parents, since it hurt their father's campaign. When Riley is outed through their blog, it's traumatic, but ultimately Riley uses their outing to help other people.

I have never read such well-written descriptions of anxiety and panic attacks, which my oldest child and I suffer from. I hope that this book will inspire discussion about anxiety as well as gender dysphoria and fluidity.

This book is on the 2017 Rainbow Book List.

My final takeaway (in 75 words or fewer): I love this book. The story was interesting, entertaining, and educational--PLUS it mentions something very important about Star Wars: HAN SHOT FIRST.  Just another educational aspect of this book.

Due to the fact that I couldn't quit reading it, Symptoms of Being Human earns the coveted TIBT award.  Also, one of my favorite from this book quotes bumped the Simon Vs the Homosapiens Agenda quote from the front page.  Sorry, Simon. 😉

My favorite quotes/passages:
  • "The truth is, some days I wake up feeling more 'boy' and some days I wake up feeling more 'girl.' And some days, I wake up feeling somewhere in between.  It's like I have a compass in my chest, but instead of north and south, the needle moves between masculine and feminine" (e-book, pg. 27).
  • "The thought of being exposed, being outed before I'm ready, terrifies me.  It makes me want to shut down my blog and go back to trying to blend in.  But there's another voice in my head . . . and it's telling me that all those things aren't reasons, just excuses.  And maybe this isn't only about me anymore" (pg. 87).
  • "'I have all the Harry Potters, the first four discs of Battlestar Galactica, and season seven of Dr. Who.'
    'What, no Star Wars?'
    Solo sighs.  'I wanted to bring the original, unaltered Episode IV, in which my namesake shoots first, as our Lord and savior intended.'
    'Why didn't you?'
    'I only have it on VHS'" (pg. 125).
  • "I'm not going to stop being who I am just because you don't like it . . . And I'm not going to stop talking about it just because you don't understand it . . . I'm only going to talk louder" (pg. 300).

Other reviews:  Common Sense Media and Disability in Kid Lit

This book is available in the Greensboro Public Library.

No comments:

Post a Comment