Friday, May 11, 2018

George--"READ IT TODAY"

Title: George


Author: Alex Gino


What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer): People may think she's a boy, but George knows in her heart that she's a girl.  George's mother claims that she might feel differently in a few years; George's friend thinks she's kidding at first; George's teacher won't let her try out for Charlotte in Charlotte's Web.  But George knows who she really is, and she just needs a chance to prove it to everyone.


What I think (in 250 words or fewer):  I was going write a long review and complain about the stupid schools  in Oregon that think George is inappropriate, "morally toxic," or will "confuse kids," but I can't. I'm tired of those people.


I'm tired of people assuming that a book about a transgender CHILD contains talk of sexuality that is not appropriate at elementary school levels.  Sexuality? Huh? Where?  Nowhere in this book.  Transgender is not about sexuality.  Here it is louder for the people in the back:  TRANSGENDER IS NOT ABOUT SEXUALITY.

My son has been living as a boy since before he was two years old. This has nothing to do with sex or sexuality; he simply feels different than the gender he was assigned at birth.

So ignorant people don't want their kid to read George because they don't want their precious, perfect  children to know that children like mine exist?  UGH.  I can't even.

George is an adorable book.  It's appropriate for kids; there's no cuss words at all (I know, I did a keyword search in the e-book to make sure) and sex isn't even discussed.

There's ONE throwaway line where George's older brother mentions dirty magazines.  OMG WHAT IF MY THIRD GRADER ASKS WHAT THOSE ARE??? Tell your kid those magazines are for adults, and chill out.  Please.

As for me, I'm thrilled that such an easy-to-read, sweet story has been written about a transgender child.  I'm keeping this book with all my WCTB books.  READ GEORGE TODAY.


This book is on the 2016 Rainbow Book List.


My grade: A+, WCTB book award.


My favorite quotes:  
  • "If George were there, she would fit right in, giggling and linking her arms with theirs.  She would wear a bright-pink bikini, and she would have long hair that her new friends loved to braid.  They would ask her name, and she would tell them, My name is Melissa.  Melissa was the name she called herself in the mirror when no one was watching" (e-book, pg. 10).
  • "Mr. Mitchell was her dad's name.  It would be her brother Scott's name someday too, but it would never be hers" (pg. 24).
  • "'Was that supposed to be some kind of joke?  Because it wasn't very funny.'
    'It wasn't a joke.  I want to be Charlotte.' George's voice sounded much smaller now that she was speaking her own words" (pg. 37).
  • "If you're going to be transgender and all, you're going to have to be a lot more careful.  You won't be able to throw up on every bully you meet" (pg. 63).

Other reviews:  New York Times and Cranky Autistic


This book is available in the Greensboro Public Library.



No comments:

Post a Comment