Wednesday, August 8, 2018

If you liked We are Okay, you should read Ashes to Asheville

If you liked We are Okay, you should read Ashes to Asheville



Author: Sarah Dooley


What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer): Sixteen-year-old Zany and twelve-year-old Fella lost Mama Lacy to cancer six months ago.  Now Zany lives with Mama Shannon, and Fella lives with Mrs. Madison, her maternal grandmother.  Mama Lacy's dream was to have her ashes scattered in the park in Asheville, so in the middle of the night, Zany picks up Fella and the urn with Mama Lacy and set off a road trip to Asheville to fulfill Mama Lacy's last wish.


What I think (in 250 words or fewer):  I managed to read three books with similar themes in the last couple of days.  Usually when I do something like that, I try to schedule the reviews so they are not published close to each other, but this time, I am going to write them all in a row.

Ashes was similar to We are Okay in theme and tone because it was about grief and the journey (physical and metaphorical) towards healing. In We are Okay, Marin leaves California and isolates herself from everyone, and Fella in Ashes is also isolated but not by choice; Ashes takes place in 2004 before gay marriage is legal in all states, and Fella's biological grandmother has custody of her (since Mama Shannon and Zany aren't biologically related to Fella).

In Dooley's afterward, she mentions (happily) that she had to make this novel take place in the recent past since gay marriage has now become legal in all states.  😊

Zany and Fella take some ridiculous chances while on the road, which made me incredibly nervous, especially thinking as a parent.  I also felt very sorry for them because I could see the point of what they were doing, and I really wanted them to be successful.  The story ends with a truce between Mama Shannon and Mrs. Madison, although I imagine the road to healing will still be incredibly bumpy.

I'm also very glad the dog doesn't die; obviously I'm not the only one who worries about this.


This book is on the 2018 Rainbow Book List and the North Carolina Battle of the Books list for middle school.


My final takeaway (in 75 words or fewer):  Ashes to Asheville is an enjoyable story that shows how important communicating, supporting, and loving family members can be (even when the family members aren't perfect or even biologically related to you).

 I'm glad that this book is on the Battle of the Books list for NC, and so far (knock on wood!!!!), no one has complained (not that there's anything objectionable in it, but the "two moms" will likely freak some parents out).


Memorable quotes/passages from the book:
  • "No, she wanted her ashes scattered across the grassy park next to our first home in Asheville, where she could smell the rain and see the sky and move along the earth like leaves with each gust of wind" (hardback edition, pg. 22).
      
  • "Maybe it's wrong, but I don't like to think of Mama Lacy being with Jesus, who I've never met, when she ought to be with me, her daughter. Somehow I can't picture her in a white robe and angel wings when she's supposed to wear denim skirts and dress flats" (pg. 89).
       
  • "We were a family. It doesn't matter what the law says.  It doesn't matter we weren't allowed to get married or to adopt each other's kids. We chose our family and we built our family and you don't have to agree with Lacy's choices, but you ought to respect them, especially since she isn't here to defend herself" (pg. 195). 
       
  • "Nobody tells me anything. They expect me simply to know" (pg. 206).

Other reviews:  Mostly in Pyjamas and Books my Kids Read


This book is available in the Greensboro Public Library.



No comments:

Post a Comment