Saturday, August 31, 2019

Deposing Nathan--"Up until he jammed a shard of ceramic in my gut, he was the best friend I ever had"

Title: Deposing Nathan


Author: Zack Smedley


LGBTQ+ Representation: Main characters are bisexual.


What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer): Cam and Nate are best friends--that is, until Cam is arrested for stabbing Nate. Cam claims he didn't do it but will not give details. Nate is asked to give a statement, under oath, that will either put his friend in prison and/or expose secrets that he does not want anyone to know.


What I think (in 250 words or fewer): Holy freakin' cow, y'all. This book would have trapped me in the bathtub if I had started reading it there because I could NOT put it down.


The narrative structure is one that I enjoy: it starts out in the present time (Nate being questioned) and then flashes back to the events up to the night of the stabbing; Cam and Nate's friendship's described, the ups, the downs . . . and the complicated attraction between them.

I love Cam's quirky personality; he and I would have been friends as teenagers (or now, actually). There's just something awesome about someone who can spout out random facts and memories out-of-the-blue that makes conversation fun. Cam and I would have the best time at trivia night, but I'm sure everyone else would be annoyed.

Nate--not so much. I understand why Nate has some issues, based on how he is treated by [spoiler deleted]. However, I found myself not liking Nate very much. I wanted to, but I didn't.

The "recovering Catholic" in me understands and emphasizes with Nate's feelings about church. I also love the hymn "On Eagle's Wings."

Deposing Nathan does have a villain, but it is not the villain I thought it would be--at first. I have to admit that I did figure out who the "villain" is, but it was more of a "I think this person is so terrible that I hope they're the villain" than "This person is clearly going to be the guilty one."


This book is too new to be on The Rainbow Books list--watch this space!


My final takeaway (in 75 words or fewer): I recommend this book for anyone who likes a suspenseful read with complicated characters. I read most of it in one setting, even when I got uncomfortable with an adult who crosses the line between "strict parent" and "abusive jerk parent."

The ending would have frustrated teenage me, since I liked more of a happily-ever-after conclusion, but the ending 100% satisfied adult me (I would have been angry if mature Cameron had not [spoiler deleted]).


Memorable quotes/passages from the book:

  • "What you have to understand about Cam--and this is important--is that up until he jammed a shard of ceramic in my gut, he was the best friend I ever had" (first line of the book).
       
  • "And I know the Catholic Church has its image problems, I know nothing about it is perfect, and it's not the norm for someone my age to have mass hymns like John Michael Talbot's 'On Eagle's Wings' in their music library" (pg. 58-59).
    [Editor's note: I once bought a Michael Crawford CD because it had the song "On Eagle's Wings" on it. It was my relaxing, go-to-sleep music for years.]
       
  • "Serendipity . . . it means 'finding something beautiful while looking for something else.' . . . Those events--those are the ones I really remember. Like maybe you're just sitting around having a boring night, or getting lunch by yourself . . . And then you meet someone new or it turns into a great night out of nowhere. Those are the best. That's what I remember" (pg. 112).
       
  • "No offense, but eat my entire ass. Why should I have to prove anything to you? Because I missed the part where you're suddenly the chancellor of LGBT validation" (pg. 218).


Other reviews: Kirkus Reviews and Book Princess Reviews


**********

This book is available here: https://library.greensboro-nc.gov/


Learn more about the Rainbow Book List here: http://www.ala.org/rt/glbtrt




















No comments:

Post a Comment