Sunday, August 4, 2019

Death Prefers Blondes--"Drag wasn't a disguise or an illusion; it was armor"

Title: Death Prefers Blondes



Author: Caleb Roehrig


LGBTQ+ Representation: Main character is bisexual and supporting characters are gay.


What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer): Teenage socialite Margo Manning and her four friends have nighttime secret identities: jewel-heisting drag queens.  Margo donates her proceeds to various charities, while her friends pay off their own tuition help their families. But then Margo catches the attention of a more powerful villain, putting her own family and friends at risk. Do they have the skills to survive their most dangerous job yet?


What I think (in 250 words or fewer): I'm not a fan of the "spy action" genre: James Bond, Mission Impossible, etc. (except the original Ocean's 11).

I am a fan of drag queens, camp, and Julie Newmar's catsuit, and was excited about this book, but when it started with a heist, I didn't get hooked as fast as I did with Roehrig's other books, and Death Prefers Blondes landed in the TBR pile.


However, I should have read it sooner--it was FABULOUS!


I read the book almost in one sitting, by the light of my cell phone flashlight while my kids were at the neon-glow-night at the trampoline park (do not recommend).

And then, well:
"I just finished pg. 362 of Death Prefers Blondes and I am angry. If this character turns out to be a double-crosser, then you, @MikalebRoehrig, are in big trouble."

I was so invested in all of the characters, I wanted more backstories about the boys. Especially Leif--ballet scenes, please? I was sure Axel and Joaquin's dad would have more to do with the plot--and what's their mom's backstory? Davon's drag mother? Is she okay?

Clearly, I liked the supporting characters as much (a bit more) than the main character, which I think is a powerful endorsement of Roehrig's ability to create memorable characters.

My nit-picky issue is: I want to know why Margo, since she is super rich does not help out her friends financially through easier-than-organized-crime means. I hope this is addressed in a sequel that Roehrig will write soon.


This book is too new to be on a Rainbow List. Watch this space!


My final takeaway (in 75 words or fewer): If you are a fan of action, spy, and heist stories, you will enjoy this book even more than I did. Even my nit-picky issue, described above, can be hand-waved away because after all, Margo is a minor who would not have access to the money her friends needed.

Don't mess with drag queens, kids, they kick will kick your asses. AND STEAL YOUR HEARTS.


Memorable quotes/passages from the book:

  • "As it turned out, a pissed-off drag queen with a grappling hook was a force to be reckoned with" (pg. 1, opening line of the book).
      
  • "'Life can be hard on kids that are different,' he'd said, 'but if you know how to throw a punch, being different is easier'" (pg. 133).
       
  • "'I don't want to gross you out,' Axel said evenly, 'but I'm going to get carpal tunnel thinking about him.'
    'Stop! No!' Margo exclaimed. 'I am officially grossed out!'
    'That was a masturbation reference, if you didn't get--'
    'I got it! Stop!'
    'Because if you do it too vigorously--'
    'I'm going to get carpal tunnel punching your face!'" (pg. 215).
       
  • "Drag wasn't a disguise or illusion; it was armor" (pg. 372).


Other reviews: NPR and Teenreads



Bonus Fun:

I pre-ordered the book and received this fun swag (plus a Last Seen Leaving short story, which is what I really wanted, honestly, and yes, it was as adorable as it sounds.)

Bookmark, card, and sticker.

Be sure to take this quiz--Which Death Prefers Blondes Drag Queen are You?

I took it and:
Miss Anthropy! What is this nonsense? BRB--I'm taking the quiz AGAIN and possibly again until I get Electra Shoxx!

**********

This book is available here: https://library.greensboro-nc.gov/



Learn more about the Rainbow Book List here: http://www.ala.org/rt/glbtrt













No comments:

Post a Comment