Tuesday, April 28, 2020

The Gentleman's Guide to Getting Lucky--"You're just so adorable when you're flustered!"

Title: The Gentleman's Guide to Getting Lucky


Author: Mackenzi Lee [NOTE right after I posted this: I just read some tweets that report that this author has been making inappropriate posts on her Instagram account. Yuck. I'm disappointed because I love her books. I am currently doing research now to see what she said. 😔]


LGBTQ+ Representation: The two main characters are gay


What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer): Monty tries to get Percy alone so they can have sex for the first time. That's it. That's the plot. 😁


What I think (in 250 words or fewer): I somehow missed this when it came out as an e-book, but when it showed up in my bookstore as this cute little volume, I snatched it up right away.



It had been a while since I've read Gentleman's Guide, and I'd forgotten how much I love Monty's voice! He has such a unique way of speaking; I don't know how else to explain it. His insecurity about Percy is so different from who Monty used to be; Monty was such a rake-like character before he and Percy got together, and he is so about taking things to the next level with Percy that it's just adorable.

The slapstick mishaps that befall Monty and Percy after Monty works to stage their perfect night (even getting cooperation from Felicity and crew) had me hysterically laughing and cringing in secondhand embarrassment--but mostly squeeing because THEY ARE THE CUTEST, y'all.

This is a novella, so it's very short, only 113 pages, but it will cheer you up and make you smile during this plague we are enduring. Also, it made me want to reread the first two books by Mackenzi Lee because I just love Monty SO MUCH.


My final takeaway (in 75 words or fewer): Real-life-awkward-first-time-sexy-times narratives aren't always fun to read--but this one IS. It's super fun; I just love Monty and Percy; I'm smiling just thinking about them. I can't wait to read Guide to Scandal and Shipwrecks in coming out in August!


Memorable quotes/passages from the book: 

  • "You're just so adorable when you're flustered!" (pg. 25)
  • "'Oh Perce,' I touch my forehead to his chin. 'You're so monogamous'" (pg. 26).
  • "I could kip up in his room to delieve the mental floggin I'm about to unleash upon myself, but the sheets will smell of him andhis clothes will be on the floor and the mattress will be caved to the shape of his body and somehow that will make everything worse" (pg. 68).
  • "It's going to be a disaster. But that's all right, because we'll have each other, and there's no one on this g****n planet I'd rather be a disaster with than you" (pg. 85).


Other reviews: The Young Folks and Punk-Ass Book Jockey


If you liked this book, you should read The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue,  The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy  and All Out.

**********

This book is available here: https://library.greensboro-nc.gov/


Learn more about the Rainbow Book List here: http://www.ala.org/rt/glbtrt















No comments:

Post a Comment