Monday, April 16, 2018

Anything Could Happen--"Ellie Goulding and George Bailey"

Title:  Anything Could Happen




Author: Will Walton


What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer): Tretch has an idyllic life in a small town with his supportive family, loving grandparents, and best friend, Matt. Tretch enjoys choreographing dances to Taylor Swift songs, but his biggest secret is that he's gay and has a secret crush on Matt.


What I think (in 250 words or fewer): I tried to read this a few months ago but lost interest halfway through.  I gave it another chance; it was worth reading.

The relationship Tretch has with his parents, brother, and grandparents is wonderful.  Tretch's favorite movie is It's a Wonderful Life, which delights me (Tretch fan-girling over a cardboard cutout of Jimmy Stewart as George Bailey made my day!). Tretch is extremely excited about visiting his grandparents and experiencing all their Christmas traditions together.  Tragic news makes the holiday bittersweet for the family this year, allowing Tretch to discover the importance of love across space and time.


The Ellie Goulding song "Anything Could Happen" becomes Tretch's new mantra, and he dances to it at a party that becomes the cheesy John Hughes 80s movie moment of the book, which I find unrealistic in the "world" of the story.

However, Tretch doesn't announce to everyone that he is gay during the song, which I totally expected. Instead, he comes out to just a few people (his friend Lana, his brother, and Matt), who are all fine, and readers know that Tretch will be fine, too.

I really love the way Tretch gets excited about the little, fun traditions in his life.  I describe this book as one about a teenager in a small town who enjoys his life and traditions, feels the love of everyone around him, and wishes it could go on this way forever.  Oh, and the teenager happens to be gay.


This book is on the 2016 Rainbow Book List.


My final takeaway: A sweet story with some small-town love and wonderfully supportive family--anyone looking for a book to give to someone to read to prove that "gay boys are just like everyone else (in predominantly white, small town America)," this is the book to give them.

Re-reading that, it sounds condescending, but I really didn't mean it to be. Hmmmm.

And a teenager obsessed with It's a Wonderful Life?  I LOVE IT.


My favorite quotes: 
  • "And it's good to smile, considering all the things that aren't being said.  There's sickness, and there's sadness.  But the thing is, there's love, too.  I try not to forget that" (hardback edition, pg. 176).  
  • "I guess I've been realizing we're all just people, Teeney.  We all gotta raise our kids, watch our loved ones get old and go.  We all been made by the same God, ain't we?" (pg. 181)
  • "You know, all the love my wife gave me during my lifetime stayed right where she put it.  Even after she was gone.  It stayed right here with me, and I feel it, alive as all get-out, every single day" (pg. 216).  
  • What black magic hath Ellie Goulding wrought this night? (pg. 239)

Other reviews: Teen Librarian Toolbox and YA Books Central


This book is available in the Greensboro Public Library.


No comments:

Post a Comment