Thursday, April 12, 2018

Rainbow Boys--"Its strength is in its well-developed characters"

Title: Rainbow Boys


Author: Alex Sanchez


What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer): Rainbow Boys is a story from the point-of-view of three high school boys:  Jason (the high school jock with the steady girlfriend), Kyle (the quiet kid whose afraid of disappointing his parents), and Nelson (the flamboyant "out" kid).  Jason meets Kyle and Nelson at a meeting for LGBTQ teens, and they become friends and navigate high school while dealing with their homosexuality.


What I think (in 250 words or fewer): Rainbow Boys was controversial when it first came out (pun intended!), landing at number 48 on the 100 frequently most challenged books of 2000-2009 Today, Rainbow Boys seems tame compared to other YA books, and its strength is in its well-developed characters.

Kyle has had a crush on Jason forever and is practically speechless when Jason shows up at their Rainbow Youth meeting.  Kyle is sweet (though a bit naïve), and I really like him. When Kyle comes out to his parents, they are as supportive as (super surprised) parents can be, although it takes them a while to come to terms. Kyle and Jason begin dating, and Nelson tries to get over his crush on Kyle.

Nelson was the character I was worried was going to be an annoying stereotype: he is loud and proud and OUT to the world.  However, his façade hides an insecure kid who just wants to be loved.  Nelson's mom is the vice-president of PFLAG and gives a speech in support of the GSA that is very moving. I really liked Nelson by the end of the book, and my heart hurt for him.

Poor Jason. His dad is a real jerk.

Yes, the book contains mild sexual content and strong language; for example, Nelson is casually referred to as "the school fag." I understand reading those words make people uncomfortable--but that's how people should feel when reading hate speech!  Hopefully, this book will cause people to think twice about before using offensive language themselves.


My final takeaway:  Definitely worth reading in spite of language, stereotypes, and outdated terms. It seems strange to me that a book written in 2001 would seem so dated, but it is. Read it anyway, though. It's a classic.

Also, this link claims the book was challenged because it is "Un-American" which cracks me up. Everyone knows there are no gay Americans, DUH. 😉


My favorite quotes:
  • "It seems like everyone's got someone except me.  My mom's dating Mr. PFLAG, Shea's got Caitlin, you have Jason--" (hardback edition, pg. 87).
  • "There have been days when I wished my son hadn't been born gay.  Not because I love him less for it . . . but so he wouldn't have to endure so much suffering" (pg. 181).
  • "Stop it!  I'm not afraid of you anymore!" (pg. 198).
  • "I'm proud of you too, son. I'm sorry I haven't told you that more often" (pg. 205).

Other reviews: Out in America and Publisher's Weekly


This book is available in the Greensboro Public Library.



No comments:

Post a Comment