Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Gracefully Grayson--"Got me especially emotional"

Title: Gracefully Grayson


Author:  Ami Polonsky


What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer): Grayson has lived with his* aunt and uncle since the death of his* parents when he* was in preschool, and Grayson has a secret that Aunt Sally and Uncle Evan do not know: Grayson is actually a girl on the inside, even though she has a boy body. When Grayson auditions for and wins the part of the leading female in the school play, life becomes more complicated.


What I think (in 250 words or a lot more--sorry, I did not even try to limit myself):  ALSO LOTS OF SPOILERS.  

An easy, fast read that I finished in one sitting.  The first-person point-of-view made the pronoun issues that bothered me in The Art of Being Normal not bothersome.  I love the fact that Grayson is only in 6th grade and not in high school. I love all the supportive people in Grayson's life--the teacher, the drama club mom, the cast members who "adopt" Grayson as a friend.

No over-the-top drama or cheesy John Hughes 80s movie moments in this book, which I appreciated.  Cheesy is fine, but it's nice to have some realism.  That being said, the issues presented in the book are so realistic and relatable to me that I spent the second half of the book especially emotional--alternating between anger and crying.


Emotional moment #1:  Grayson's Grandma Alice, who has been in the nursing home with Alzheimer's as long as Grayson can remember, dies.  Grandma Alice leaves Grayson letters that Grayson's mom had written to Grandma Alice before she (Grayson's mom) died.  The very last letter sent included a picture of Grayson in a tutu, explains how happy Grayson was to dress like a little girl, and how Grayson's parents planned to support their child no matter what.  Therefore, if Grayson's parents had not died, Grayson would have grown up and been supported living her life as her true self.  TEARS.


Emotional moment #2:  Who stopped Grayson from living as a girl? Aunt Sally.  She punished Grayson for dressing as a girl so much, Grayson stopped.  Aunt Sally was too worried about what people would think.  ANGER.  However, Aunt Sally is coming from a good place--she does not want Grayson to be teased and feels that she is protecting "him."  FRUSTRATION at misguided concern.  Parents of kids who are different in any way have experienced misplaced concern.  It is exhausting.


Emotional moment #3:  Grayson auditions for the school play and when she gets the lead, she's thrilled.  Finally, Grayson will be able to wear a gorgeous gown like she has always wanted to do.  She also finds supportive friends and a supportive drama parent in the cast.  TEARS of happiness.


Emotional moment #4:  Aunt Sally goes to the PTA, furious that the director of the play, Mr. Finn, gave Grayson the lead female role "without considering the implications."  She and some other PTA moms say that "allowing" Grayson to "act like a girl" is not in the best interest of the child and that Mr. Finn clearly has an agenda since it is rumored, but not confirmed, that Mr. Finn is gay.  They petition to have Mr. Finn fired, and he accepts a new job after the play.  EXTREME ANGER.

WTF.  There is so much wrong this, I can't even.  First of all, as former English teacher and drama director, we teachers DON'T HAVE TIME to enforce our gay, our liberal, our atheist, or our WHATEVER agendas I've heard teachers of having.  Do you know how much grading and paperwork and hours teachers put in?  I could not enforce an agenda even if I wanted to.

Also, I'm a cisgender girl who has played male parts in many plays.  I have even worn fake beards and had "wives."  I once played a man dressed up as a woman who is revealed to be a man. I did not catch "teh gay." I'm pretty sure my directors were never accused of promoting an agenda.  We just did not have enough boys in drama.  :D

And the double standard annoys me.  My trans son spent at least two years of his life dressing as Superman, Mario, or Spider-Man in public.  Not one person accused me of trying to confuse my child, even when "he" was a girl named Hannah.  In fact, everyone told me that it was great that I could let my kid express herself.  I have a feeling, though, if my oldest son had dressed as a princess, I would not have had that much support.  This?  IS RIDICULOUS.


Emotional moment #5:  Due to stupid bullies, Grayson breaks her wrist on opening night of the play.  Aunt Sally goes into victim-blaming mode when Grayson requests a pink cast--"This is what landed us here in the first place!  Why would you want a pink cast? (p. 221).  NO. Not cool, Aunt Sally.  But Uncle Evan whisks her aside, tells her off in the other room, and Grayson gets her pink cast. And rocks her part in the play that night.  TEARS. You go, Uncle Evan.


Emotional moment #6:  Grayson receives nice, inspiring letter of support from Mr. Finn.  TEARS of JOY.


Emotional moment #7: Right before her debate in English class about To Kill a Mockingbird and bravery, Grayson takes off her sweat shirt to reveal her girly pink shirt and puts the pretty hairclips in her hair. The book stops there, but I know Grayson is going to be okay.  TEARS--so much my five-year-old took the book from me and said "bad book to make Mommy cry."


This book is on the 2016 Rainbow Book List.



My rating: 5 out of 5 stars and WCTB bookI checked this out of the library, but it's worthy of owning and reading to my kids.


My favorite quotes:
  • "Paul and I both still want Grayson to have the power to show the world who he is--whoever that may be-- on his own terms and in his own time" (hardback edition, p. 104).
  • "I don't want to look like a freak.  I want to be a real girl" (p. 161).
  • "Sometimes people make important decisions that happen to be risky.  I agree with Mr. Finnegan's decision.  And I think it was an extremely noble one to make" (pg. 208).
  • "To be brave means there's something important you have to do and you're scared, but you do it anyway" (p. 234).

Other reviews:  Teen Librarian Toolbox and Publisher's Weekly.


This book is available in the Greensboro Public Library.



No comments:

Post a Comment