Monday, August 31, 2020

Rick--"Maybe you're blooming now, but you're just not the kind of flower he was expecting"

Title: Rick



Author: Alex Gino


LGBTQ+ Representation: Asexual main character, Melissa from George, and a group of kids at the Rainbow Spectrum Club.


Content Warning: Junior high bullies.

What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer): Rick is excited about starting junior high and spending more time with his grandpa (a fellow Rogue Space fan! Who knew?) but is getting a bit tired of his best friend Jeff, a bully and a jerk. And also, why do people keep asking Rick about girls? Is it okay not to want to date anyone? Rick finds himself enjoying Rainbow Spectrum club, where kids of all genders and identities meet.

What I think (spoilers ahead): I was super psyched to read Rick; my love for George is not a secret. I knew Rick would not have Melissa as a main character, so I am thrilled to report that she is in the book more than I had expected. Yay!

I write about friendship breakups as subplots these two books, and again, I think it's a topic that should be explored more often in middle-grades books because friendships grow and change over the years, and sometimes, friends outgrow each other.

This certainly happens to Rick. He is uncomfortable with Jeff''s behavior but keeps thinking of the good times they have had together when Jeff was there for him. However, he finally, with the help of his new friends at the Rainbow Spectrum and the support of his grandfather, he is able to stand up to Jeff. This is not an easy decision for Rick, and I am sad for him, but he is better for it.

As a former English teacher, I appreciated the lesson that the English teacher in Rick learns. Yes, it's hard initially for those of us grammar nerds to use they/them pronouns; but they are important and correct. I must admit, however, I struggle with they/them pronouns. Please call me out on it.

I like all the scenes with Rick and his grandfather, family seems to have a policy of  their kids only spending time with their grandfather when they are older. Why?

I have mixed feelings about a scene when Rick asks Melissa why she decided to "become" a girl. I agree that Melissa (or any other trans person) does not owe anyone an explanation. However, if someone reads this and become afraid to ask trans people questions, they might continue to see trans-folk as "mysterious evil" or even as intimidating, even though trans people are varied just like normal people. Or they won't ask any questions ever and believe transphobic misinformation from their favorite authors. Transpeople don't owe anyone explanations, but people also need to learn that transpeople are not evil, perverted monsters.

 However, Melissa's only association with Rick was that he was the bully's friend and Jeff made her life miserable, so I cannot blame her for being apprehensive when Rick asks her that question.  However, I have also taught my trans son that he owes no one an explanation, and Melissa does not owe Rick or anyone an explanation, no matter how well-intentioned his questions are.

Finally, this book explains that it is ok to be ace! You are never too young to know who you are. Yes, your identity might change as you get older and that's fine, but when people tell you who they are, believe them.


This book is too new to be on a Rainbow List--watch this space!


My final takeaway (in 75 words or fewer):  Read this book, and for more info, refer to my tweet on April 29, 2020:

Rick tweet
Tweet text: I finally got my copy of Rick by Alex Gino and am not finished with it yet but am already so moved by what I've read so far. George was the book my trans son needed, but Rick is the book that 5th grade ME needed. Yay for ace rep. Thank you. 


Memorable quotes/passages from the book:
  • "Not that Rick was anything like the first United States president, but there was this song about Hamilton being his right-hand man, and sometimes Rick felt like that" (pg. 15).
  • "The bubbles looked like the tiny questions building into curiosity columns that tumbled into larger unknowns until the pot was a rolling mass of boiling unsteadiness" (pg. 63).
  • "Asexuality was definitely more complicated than kale" (pg. 112).
  • "Maybe you're blooming now, but you're just not the kind of flower he was expecting" (pg.145).

Other reviews: The Nerd Daily (also an interview with Gino) and Paper Fury.


If you liked this book, you should read The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy, Lily and Dunkin, and The Whispers.
   

********** 

 
This book is available here: https://library.greensboro-nc.gov/







Learn more about the Rainbow Book List here: http://www.ala.org/rt/glbtrt










No comments:

Post a Comment