Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Books I couldn't quite finish--"I tried so hard and got so far"

Do you ever try to read books that you know should be good, they have won awards or are recommended by everyone, but you just can't finish them for whatever reason?  I am usually good about finishing books that I have checked out to review for this blog, even if the books don't capture my attention right away (and I don't cheat; I only review books that I have read from start to finish).

Today I am going to write about three books that I just couldn't read enough of to properly review.  Should I give any of them a second chance?  Let me know.



Title:  History is All You Left Me

Author:  Adam Silvera

What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer):  Griffin has a very hard time dealing with the death of Theo, his ex-boyfriend and first love.  The book flashes back and forth between the present time (Theo's funeral and the aftermath) and the past (significant moments in Griffin's and Theo's relationship).

Why I just couldn't read it all:  I have a hard time reading books that I know will be super sad, and this particular story reminded me of an event in college in which my roommate's friend died in a car accident and I had to tell one of their friends.  I started sobbing after the first paragraph of the book.  I then skipped around and read different parts and cried some more.  I skipped to end and continued crying.

After about an hour, I had read probably 80% of the book, but out-of-order and through tears.  I just cannot go back and re-read it in order to review it.  It's too heartbreaking--but that might be a point in its favor--it is a book about grief, after all, and it certainly struck a chord with me.

This book is on the 2018 Rainbow Book List.

***

Title:  Felix Yz

Author:  Lisa Bunker

What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer):  When he was three-years-old, Felix was fused with an intelligent, fourth-dimensional being he calls "Zyx."  It's like he always has this alien voice in his mind, and the alien sometimes takes over Felix's mind (like when he's playing chess) or the alien has something to say (Felix must go to a keyboard so that Zyx can type out his feelings).  The book is set up as thirteen-year-old Felix's blog that he's writing as he prepares for a risky Procedure (in capital letters) that will remove Zyx from Felix so that Felix can grow up and Zyx can move on.

Why I just couldn't read it all: Felix Yz has a lot of interesting characters and LGBTQ representation:  Felix's grandparent is gender non-binary (some days of the week they're Vern and sometimes Vera), and Felix's mother is bisexual, and Felix himself identifies as gay.  I tried to read this book several times, and I just couldn't get into it.

The premise of the fourth-dimensional being in Felix's head was a hard sell for me--I just couldn't buy it.  Plus the pseudo scientific procedure stuff just did not work for me either.  Felix's voice just did not compel me to keep reading. I skipped to the end to read the results of the procedure, however.

This book is on the 2018 Rainbow Book List.

***

Title:  Call Me By Your Name

Author:  Andre Aciman

What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer): Seventeen-year-old Elio Perlmans lives with his family in Italy, where they take in a doctoral student each summer.  Twenty-four-year-old Oliver is the doctoral student who stays with the Perlmans in the summer of 1987.  Elio and Oliver begin a secret romance with each other.

Why I just couldn't read it all: Call Me by Your Name is technically NOT a YA novel, but since it the protagonist is seventeen and other YA bloggers have reviewed it, I figure it counts.

The story is told in first-person point-of-view from Elio's perspective, and I did not like Elio. He was creepy obsessed with Oliver, and I don't know how someone can sound so immature and pretentious at the same time.

The "forbidden" aspect of their love is played up so much that I could not root for them as a couple.  The erotica, especially the infamous peach scene, turned me off, which is pretty much the opposite intended effect of erotica.  The ending is depressing.

As far as the movie goes, I also have issues, but take my issues with a HUGE grain of salt since I skipped around reading the book and have only seen bits and pieces of the movie.  I thought the actors who played Elio and Oliver (although both super attractive men in their own rights) were wrong for their parts:  Elio looked too young and Oliver too old, which highlighted their age difference (which was not an issue at all in the book).  The scenery and music were beautiful, but since we did not have Elio's obsession narration, I thought Oliver's character needed more development.

Maybe one day I'll give this book another chance and watch the movie all the way through. If I do, I will write an updated review.


These books are available in the Greensboro Public Library.

No comments:

Post a Comment