Monday, July 9, 2018

Perfect Ten--"Love can make you stupid. And crazy."

Title: Perfect Ten


Author: L. Philips

What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer): Sam has been on a romantic dry-spell for a couple of years, ever since he broke up with the only eligible gay boy (and his best friend), Landon.  Sam is convinced to perform a Wiccan spell with his friend, Meg, to find the perfect boyfriend.  Could it be Gus, the French exchange student; Travis, the sexy musician; Jamie, the talented artist; or loyal Landon, who wants another chance?  Will Sam ever find his true love?

What I think (in 250 words or fewer): Perfect Ten is a fun summer beach read.  The slight angst is of the teenage romantic type, and everything turns out fabulous, in the fairy-tale style of Harlequin romance novels.

After I wrote the above two sentences, I made the mistake of reading other reviews of this book.  I could not believe how many negative reviews I found.  Did we read the same book?  Or--did we just have completely different expectations when we read the book blurb?

I do agree that the characters are shallow, spoiled, self-centered, and sometimes silly (I didn't mean to use quite that much alliteration, but my points stand). I also agree that they are privileged white kids and add that Sam talks about how awesome he is Zack-Morris-style and is totally Jessica Wakefield in this book; even Sam's friends tell him he's "short-sighted" sometimes.

If they were not his friends, they would tell him he's a stupid, thoughtless jerk occasionally.

I realize that not all high school students are immature Jessica Wakefield types, but Sam definitely is, and I think he does learn from his mistakes and grow as a character throughout the book.  I also would maintain that most people make stupid, thoughtless jerk-moves in the name of love, especially as a teenagers.

I tried not to let the negative reviews affect my initial enjoyment of Perfect Ten, although I can see the points of some of the reviewers (even though I think they are taking the book too seriously).

This book is on the 2018 Rainbow Book List.

My final takeaway (in 75 words or fewer): Do you like romance novels?  The cheesy, formulaic kind that are fun to read if you don't over-analyze the plot and characters?  Then you'll like this book.

Fluffy, romantic, and no angst but the privileged-teenage-boy-kind made Perfect Ten a fun summer read for me.  I breezed through the book and enjoyed it.


My favorite quotes/passages:
  • "Write that down in the books, ladies and gentlemen.  A teenager admitted he was too young for sex.  Go ahead.  Throw your Abstinence Club party. Don't forget the streamers" (paperback edition, pg. 32).
  • "From this angle he looks like he walked out off the cover of a Harlequin paperback.  I imagine the title would be something lame like Rebel with a Cause, and that the heroine would slowly turn him from a bad boy to a suitable gentleman she could bring home to Mother.  As long as he kept that wild streak in the bedroom, of course" (pg. 149).
  • "'In the words of the great Garth Algar, if you're gonna spew, spew into this.'
    I don't ask him who Garth Algar is.  I'll Google it when I'm sober" (pg. 173).
  • "Give her a break, Sam.  She says she loves him.  Love can make you stupid.  And crazy" (pg. 266).

Other reviews:
 As I mentioned above, Perfect Ten has a lot of mixed reviews.  Several of them are under Goodreads, and here is one from Kirkus Reviews.


This book is NOT available in the Greensboro Public Library.  To request that it be added to their collection, fill out this form.

No comments:

Post a Comment