Thursday, July 19, 2018

Freakboy--"Everyone feels like a freak until they make up their mind they're not"

Title: Freakboy



Author: Kristin Elizabeth Clark

What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer): Brendan is a typical high school boy, but lately he's noticed he is not just attracted to his girlfriend, Vanessa; sometimes, he wants to be a girl like her.  Is he a freak?  Vanessa is confused because Brendan is moody lately.  Why doesn't he trust her enough to tell her his secrets?  Angel is a trans female volunteer at the LGBTQ teen center who really wants to help Brendan.  Will she get through to him?

What I think (in 250 words or fewer): I really enjoyed this book!  I don't know why I hesitate to read books written in verse instead of prose--my subconscious must believe that verse equals "difficult-to-understand-epic-poem-that-I-must-analyze-as-English-teacher," but that has not been my experience with modern books written in verse.  It's quite the opposite, in fact: books written in verse are often easier to understand, contain more vivid characters, and are faster reads than traditional prose.

Freakboy is written from the points-of-view of Brendan, Vanessa, and Angel.  Brendan is horrified to think that he might be "transsexual" (I'm aware that this term is outdated, but it is the one used in the book) because he feels like a boy sometimes and a girls sometimes. He still loves his girlfriend Vanessa but keeps hurting her feelings unintentionally.

Angel's story is the most inspiring of the three characters:  even though her past was traumatic, Angel continues to have faith in God and wants to help other teenagers like Brendan.

Freakboy is also one of those books with characters that stick with you (or haunt you!) after the end of their story.  Does Brendan tell his mom and come to terms with his new identity as gender-fluid?  Does Angel continue to do well at the teen center and with her new boyfriend?  Will Vanessa be able to be repair her relationships with her friends?

On a super shallow note, I hope the bullies and the ridiculously homophobic coach develop incurable jock itch or something.  😏


This book is on the 2014 Rainbow Book List.


My final takeaway (in 75 words or fewer):  I recommend that you read Freakboy because of the format (the verse works well) and the characters that make you think.

And as an aside--why are people so threatened by men who are interested in wearing women's clothing?  Will wearing a bra suddenly transform a straight man into a gay man?  Or a sexual deviant or pedophile??  Geez, people, it's cotton, silk, and elastic--nothing that should suddenly develop sexuality-changing superpowers if worn by a man.


My favorite (and/or notable) quotes from the book:


  • "I couldn't use the right one
    'cause they wouldn't let me.

    Was it my fault they couldn't see
    who I was?  Nope.

    None of this
    'trapped-in-a-man's-body' bullshit.

    I am a woman.
    And back then?

    I was a little girl" (hardback edition, pgs. 62-63).
      
  • "Later, just before sleep, I replay the scene
    and know I wasn't knocking down pins. I
    was annihilating the Sugar Plum Fairy
    who     danced     in     my      head" (pg. 162).
      
  • "You think meeting
    your boyfriend's parents
    for the first time
    is nerve-wracking?

    Girl, you just try doing it trans" (pg. 358).
      
  • "Everyone feels like a freak
    until they make up their mind
    they're not" (pg. 408).

Other reviews: YA Books Central and Cuddlebuggery Book Blog


This book is available in the Greensboro Public Library.

No comments:

Post a Comment