Monday, July 2, 2018

Star-Crossed--"Be patient, for the world is broad and wide"

Title: Star-Crossed



Author: Barbara Dee


What it’s about (in 75 words or fewer):  The 8th grade play is Romeo and Juliet.  Mattie is really excited to be in the play with her friends Lucy, Tessa, and the new girl, Gemma, who Mattie starts to develop feelings for, even though Mattie recently had a crush on Elijah.  Can someone like both boys and girls? Mattie wonders. When Liam quits the play, Mattie finds herself playing the part of Romeo, and her crush on Gemma becomes not-so-secret among her friends.


What I think (in 250 words or fewer):  I'm loving all of these middle-grades books with LGBTQ characters!  When I was in 8th grade, book characters were mostly white and all straight, and lived in Sweet Valley, Stoneybrook, or Fear Street.

I could relate to Mattie's friend drama and enjoyed how the girls stuck with Shakespeare-quoting Tessa, who was not the most socially apt. Mattie does not experience too much angst over her crush on Gemma, and every single character who finds out is supportive. With the exception of one character using "gay" as an insult (quickly shot-down by the teacher), no homophobia is in this book.

I couldn't help but compare this book to Gracefully Grayson--but in Star-Crossed, no one blinks an eye at Mattie playing Romeo even when she kisses Juliet.

As a high school English teacher, I taught Romeo and Juliet many times and think it would be a stretch for 8th graders to understand, but not completely impossible.  I enjoyed the kid who pointed out how stupid Romeo is in the play and how unrealistic it is for him to fall in love with Juliet in about 10 seconds.  I introduced the play by telling students that anyone who thinks Romeo and Juliet is "the greatest love story ever told" have never read it--after all, the story takes place in a week and results in the deaths of 6 people.

Finally, a couple of Easter Eggs in the novel:  the ice cream shop is named Verona's and the next town over is Mantua.


This book is on the 2018 Rainbow Book List.

 
My final takeaway (in 75 words or fewer):  I like this book for younger readers.  I would have loved it in 8th and 9th grade when I was super into theater.  No heavy angst, bullying, or homophobia.

Here's an article that made me sad. What is wrong with people?


My favorite quotes/passages:
  • "'Did you think I sounded like Darth Vader?  Especially when I said those last two lines?'
    Mr. Torres laughed. 'Maybe.  But I'm pretty sure the force is with you, so I wouldn't sweat it too much, Mattie'" (hardback edition, pg. 86).
      
  • "People may choose to identify themselves as gay, and it's a word of pride.  But the way you're using the word, it's just an insult, and there's no room for that in this production or in this school.  Understood?" ( pg. 125).
      
  • "Maybe he can't talk to his parents, but he's got these friends, right?  Benvolio and Mercutio?  Has he talked to them about his feelings?  He doesn't give them a chance!  Maybe he thinks they never loved anyone like he loves Juliet, but they could still help him decide what to do, you know?  At least they could listen.  But Romeo's in his own head all the time.  And that's his problem" (pg. 161).
        
  • "Keeping secrets from me, you false caterpillars.  Luckily for you both, I have a ridiculously forgiving heart.  Which neither of you scurvy knaves deserve" (pg. 236).  

Other reviews: Broadway World and Publisher's Weekly
  


This book is available in the Greensboro Public Library.




No comments:

Post a Comment